Skip to main content

Finding Motivation

Working out isn't always easy, even I will admit that. I workout 6 days a week, but there are definitely those days when it's a struggle to find motivation to do so. I'm only human. I have bad days at work, or I might get into a funk when we have a bout of bad weather. I think that in order to keep exercise in your life, you must tap into a source (or multiple sources) of motivation. Here is a list of motivators that I turn to. They are in no particular order.

  • Motivator 1 - Look in the mirror - I know, sounds vain, but try it. When I see the results of all of my hard work, it makes it easier to keep up with the hard work. When you lift weights, you can see your muscles growing, toning up, and taking shape. 
  • Motivator 2 - The boost of energy I get after a workout. I may be tired and cranky, but if I can just get moving, I feel so much better. It clears my mind. When you're working out, it's harder to dwell on the bad day. In some ways, cardio has become my medication. I will admit, it can be addicting.
  • Motivator 3 - I run because I am able. I run, but I do not consider myself a real runner. I have never experienced a runner's high. Usually I have to force myself to get going - psych myself up for the run. Once I get going, I do typically fall into a groove. While I run, I focus on how strong my body is to allow me to run when so many others cannot. I run to feel a sense of accomplishment.
  •  Motivator 4 - I read the workout posts from my friends on Cathe Friedrich's forum. I check in with a group of ladies who have the same ideas regarding exercise and healthy eating as I do. One of the ladies who posts also has Multiple Scleroses (MS). When I see the workouts that she does, I am embarrassed to whine and complain about being a little tired or just not "feeling it" that day. If she can do it, I need to shut up and get to it.
  • Motivator 5 - To inspire others. I hope to be a positive example to others. I have been inspired by friends, strangers, unbelievable stories of courage and strength. Why not try to do the same for someone else?
When people decide they want to jump on the exercise band wagon, I think it's important that they be realistic. Don't set unrealistic goals, like lose 10 pounds in a week or run a marathon within a month. Find both internal and external motivators to keep you focused, especially on those days when you really would rather go home, curl up with some ice cream, and do nothing.

What motivates you???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.