Skip to main content

Missing the Beach Part II

After writing about Perdido Key, FL in “Missing the Beach,” I started to think that perhaps I made it sound like there was absolutely nothing to do other than sit on a condo balcony or sit on the beach and read. I really did not do the town justice. Those are just the two things that I find most relaxing and look forward to doing all year long. No stress. No worries.

For me, no stress and no worries also involves maintaining some sense of routine and normalcy. I get extremely stressed and irritable when my routine falls apart. So, yes, I exercise. Yes, I try to cook healthier meals. However, when I am on vacation, I find that I actually enjoy those things so much more. I'm on no one else’s time schedule. I'm much more relaxed and focused on enjoying every moment.

Maintaining a routine

While it is vacation, I do try to maintain a sense of normalcy with my routine, to include diet and exercise. I think that is important. I always feel better when I'm able to continue to get in runs or even some ab work while on vacation. Eating familiar meals is always nice as well. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy going out to eat, but I don’t want to eat out every meal.

I typically alternate between the treadmill and elipitcal machine for about 45 minutes while watching the Food Network. I also pack my resistance bands and an ab DVD or two. I try to watch my food intake as well. I mean, I am in a bikini. The beach is not the place to decide to go willy nilly with eating!

Enjoying the views
Yes, my husband and I typically spend the majority of the time on the beach under an umbrella. We take a cooler with snacks, water, and even beer. We’re on vacation right?! We also relax on our balcony, simply taking in the views. Forget the television. We turn on some music and simply sit. Such a change of pace from day-to-day living.

Vacation activities
While enjoying the views is relaxing and all, we aren’t hermits. We do enjoy getting out and taking a drive, visiting a few restaurants, and shopping or browsing a few tourist hot spots. Here are some of our favorite places to visit in or around Perdido Key, FL.

  • Jelly Fish Bar - A fun, quirky little place within walking distance from the condo we typically stay at. You can enjoy creatively concocted cocktails and sushi. 
  • The Wharf – The Wharf is a definite must for those who enjoy eclectic gift shops. This newish complex is still filling up, but don’t let the empty store fronts fool you. There are still many shops to peruse, a movie theater, and restaurants. One of our favorite restaurants at The Wharf is Ginny Lane Bar and Grill. During our last visit, I enjoyed their Portobella and Artichoke Salad. It was huge, delicious, and worth every cent.
  • Tanger Outlet Mall in Foley, AL - For the outlet mall enthusiasts, this one is one of the best. It’s definitely worth the drive to Foley, AL. Even my husband finds his inner shopper here.
  • Flora-bama – Ok, this is not a place that we actually frequent. However, it’s a place to visit, at least once. It looks like a ramshackle lean to; it’s a dive plain and simple. In fact, they tout themselves as “The last great American road house.” No matter, it’s a dive on the beach and a great place to people watch.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.