Skip to main content

Curry, Peanut, Tofu...Oh My

Well, yesterday while I was in the midst of making the Portobello Burritos from The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine I also decided to make her Curried Wheat Berry-Spelt Salad. This one takes a while to make simply because wheat berries take a while to cook up. The curry sauce comes together quickly though, so if you have pre-made wheat berries and spelt, then this would come together in a snap. I, however, did not so it took close to two hours to cook. The sauce uses tahini, curry powder, lemon juice, agave nectar, and other Thai-inspired spices. Again, it came together very easily and would likely make a good sauce over steamed veggies and rice as well.The veggies in this salad included carrots, bell pepper, and onion. I added peas as well for additional color.

I will admit a few snafus I had with this one. First off, I wasn't thinking straight and for some reason thought "Spelt, well I have spelt flour." Duh, spelt as in the grain. Oh well, I just substituted with more wheat berries. I also missed the part about soaking and draining raisins rather than soaking them then cooking them along with the wheat berries. So, grains a little sweater than they probably would have been otherwise. Lastly, the curry paste I had was the opposite of spicy. I know that I'll be finding another brand to use. Anyway, salad was complete and ready for later use.

I thought that some sort of spicy Thai baked tofu would pair well with the flavors of the salad. Unfortunately, I didn't find any marinades or sauces that sounded like what I was going for in her cookbook. So, after searching around, I came up with the following based on a Spicy Peanut Marinade Sauce from Vegan Verve:

Spicy Peanut Tofu

Ingredients:
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup peanut butter (I used natural)
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 pound extra-firm tofu*

*Note - freezing tofu for a at least three day, then allowing to thaw in the refrigerator will give you a completely different texture (which I prefer). You are able to easily squeeze out the moisture. In turn, the tofu will soak up more of a sauce or marinade.

Directions:
Whisk together all ingredients making sure that the peanut butter is consistent throughout. This can be used as either a sauce or a marinade.

As a Marinade
Pour some of the marinade in the bottom of a large baking dish. Place tofu in marinade and marinate for at least 3 hours to get the best flavor. Be sure to flip the tofu/tempeh a few times during the time frame you choose. Bake tofu at 350 for approximately 1 hour, flipping once.

As a Sauce

Heat on medium/medium-low until it thickens.

I served the baked tofu over zucchini "noodles" that I sauteed with lite soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, fresh ginger, and garlic. I had extra marinade so I let that thicken to top the tofu.

I really enjoyed the flavors of all of the dishes. The wheat berry salad was slightly sweet, which nicely offset the heat from the spicy peanut tofu. The zucchini added that extra touch of green and nicely replaced noodles. Do you have a favorite tofu marinade?




I was glad to have had this mostly pre-made. I ended up getting really sick at work after taking my antibiotic this morning. I took it right before I left the house and ate my overnight oats within 15 minutes. Apparently that wasn't soon enough. I was pretty green and spent the majority of the day on the couch. My workouts have been sidelined and that really stresses me out. On a positive note, my sinuses seem to be doing so much better today. Hopefully tomorrow I can get back to my workouts. 


Thanks to everyone for the well wishes! I really do appreciate it.

Comments

  1. Heather,

    I am so sorry to hear you are still feeling sick. Hopefully this morning is better.

    Your tofu sounds great. I love to bake tofu and use whatever I have in the house. The version I make most often has lemon juice, lemon zest, minced garlic and oregano.

    Feel better,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia ! So far so good this morning. Just took the antibiotic though. I'm honestly not just a super HUGE fan of tofu. I never seem to be able to get it just right (flavorful). This sauce turned out well though. I like the sound of your flavor combos too. Of course, I love using minced garlic! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,

    I am glad you are feeling a little better today.

    My hubby isn't a big fan of tofu either. However, if I change the texture and add flavor he accepts it. He is also okay with it in miso soup. Not that I know why.

    I am always looking for new marinades for tofu too. Maybe between the two of us we can come up with something great to marinade the tofu in. Let's hope.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite marinade is a SPICY one! http://ordinaryvegetarian.blogspot.com/2009/07/fiery-tofu-marinade.html

    I've never prepared wheat berries before, but now that I have a pressure cooker I really want to. I imagine they are ready in less than half the time. Your salad sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should post your recipe The Ordinary Vegetarian ! I found it after I had already started this marinade/sauce. I saved it as it sounds really tasty!!! I have only made wheat berries once before. I soaked them and they took less time to cook. I really like the texture of them. Thanks for posting the link to your marinade!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubby and I like to prepare our tofu with a little soy sauce and then sprinkle it with fresh lime juice... this is really good for a stir-fry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tofu looks amazing! Thanks for posting on my blog so I could jump over to yours! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.