Skip to main content

Sucky Saturday? I Think Not


Sucky Start 
I totally woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I was a major Pissy Pants. I had an order of dog treats that I needed to bake up. I should have done them Friday night of course. I knew that too. I was supposed to have gone to visit my mom and sister and take the treats for a customer in that city. After getting them bake, I found out that my nephew was really sick, so no visit. My pups, however, a most decidedly happy about the acquisition of doggy treats. I'll have to make more next weekend now. So, I procrastinated on starting my workouts and my mood only kept getting worse (if that was actually possible). I finally did what my sis would say: put on my big girl panties and sucked it up. I did Shock Cardio Athletic Step. I really enjoy that one. It's about 35 mins. Time flies by. Then I did weights. Today was the last weight workout for week 3 of my Total Body Training rotation. I did 3 sets of 15 reps of each exercise:

Triceps - Double Arm Kickbacks
Calves - Dumbbell Calf Raises
Chest - Decline Dumbbell Press
Back - Double Arm Rows
Legs - Step Ups (on 12" step)
Shoulders - Front Raises

I did also sneak in 2 sets of 6 reps alternating bicep curls and 2 sets of 12 reps of pullovers for back.

Saturday Shopping
After working out, Jason and I decided to take a trip to the Asian market. The first thing I spotted - kabocha!!!! Thanks so much Allie for the tip of where to find it. I have been searching for this beaut for months now. I have a few blogging buddies who rave about it so that led me to my search. Now I have it. Now I don't know what to do with it. But, I have it! I also came home with Japanese egglplant (love love love that stuff), fresh green beans, bok choy, miso paste, tom yum (vegan), and dried shiitakes, 4 boxes of silken tofu (variety of firmness)  all for a mere 22 bucks. I'd call that a pretty good deal.

So Not Sucky Saturday After All
In the end, the day turned around and wasn't sucky at all. After polishing off the rest of the White Cheeseless Queso, Jason worked on setting up his new toy - PlayStation 3 (for Blu-ray capabilities I was told). The storms finally set in, so I got comfy in my sweats and started working on dinner. I was inspired by Alyson's quesadilla. I love the flavor and texture combination of sweet potatoes and black beans, and had some kale that needed to be used. I wasn't in the mood for soup, so quesadillas or burritos sounded like a good idea (especially after having snacked on the white cheeseless queso). So, I made Sweet Potato, Black Bean, & Kale Burritos.

Sweet Potato, Black Bean, & Kale Burritos
Ingredients:
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 sweet potato (or 1 small), diced
1/2 bunch curly kale
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
minced garlic
Spices to taste: sea salt, black pepper, red pepper, cumin, nutmeg, chili powder
Whole-wheat tortilla wraps
cheese/vegan cheese (optional)

Directions:
Prepare the kale by removing from the steams and cleaning thouroughly. Blanch in boiling water approximately 2 minutes then transfer to bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Once cooled, squeeze out excess water.

Cook diced sweet potato in microwave for approximately 5 minutes. Meanwhile, saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic in sauce pan with drizzle of olive oil until soft. Add in beans, sweet potatoes, and spices and cook until sweet potatoes are soft. Lightly mash mixture. Stir in kale and re-season if needed.

Fill tortilla with mixture and wrap into burrito. As an option (which is what I did), toast the burritos in non-stick skillet. Serve with pico de gallo and creamy cilantro sauce (used Urban Vegan recipe).
I should mention that this made quite a bit of filling. After making 3 very healthy burritos, I still had enough to make at least 2 more. I did save the filling and plan to reheat and serve over pearled barley perhaps. It may very well be good cold as a salad.

Comments

  1. That's lovely.. bet it would be amazing with your cheeseless queso.. ok, meal inspiration for this coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alyson ! If we'd had any of the queso left, I would have used it on them. Sadly, we got greedy and cleaned the bowl long before dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that after a bumpy start, you're Saturday got a lot better!

    I'm so glad that my detox is over because now I can cook some healthy and delicious food like I see on your blog every day!

    I hope your Sunday is even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Suzie so far Sun is pretty darn good. Can't wait to see some of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nevermind, I see that you got the tom yum at the Asian market. I'll have to make a trip to my local Asian market this week :)

    I just love black bean and sweet potatoes together in Mexican inspired dishes, I love the addition of kale in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah @ The Ordinary Vegetarian just make sure the Tom Yum is vegan (some use shrimp). I swear, the Asian market is my new-found shopping mecca! Dried shiitakes for 1.99, tofu for 89 cents (usually 1.99 at reg store).

    The kale really added a new layer of texture to the potatoes and beans. Really good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.