Skip to main content

Friday Follow-Up, Drop Sets, and Taco Salad

Friday Follow-Up
First off, I want to thank everyone for their great comments! Sounds like everyone is on the same page. I love the open-minded attitudes and notions of living life to the fullest. You guys are awesome!

Dinner did end up being pizza...on the grill. Grilled pizza wasn't the intention mind you, it was dark out and not part of the plan. I had turned on the oven to pre-heat and to heat up the pizza stone. When I was done with the toppings and had the dough rolled out, I asked Jason to pull out the stone. It was, well, stone cold. No heat folks. The burners were working just fine, so we have no idea what's up with the oven. Thankfully we have a gas grill that we were able to use. The crust was definitely crispier, but not in a bad way.

My half of the pizza was my very predictable Greek style of spinach, artichokes, sundried tomatoes, banana pepper rings, roasted red bell peppers, and feta. Jason had been wanting to try a muffuletta style pizza. One of our favorite pizza joints makes one (obviously lot vegetarian) so he thought it'd be fun to make a vegetarian version. His half included a chopped olive mixture, jardiniere veggies, vegetarian salami, ham, and pepperoni, topped with provolone.

Saturday Drop Sets
I woke up starving this morning and decided to make a bowl of oatmeal. Usually on the weekends I'll have something other than my typical oatmeal breakfast. But I was craving bananas and peanut butter so I decided the only thing I could do was to make PB&J&B Oatmeal. Just follow the directions for making steel cut oats (or rolled if you prefer). I topped with 1 tbsp natural creamy peanut butter, 1 tbsp sugar-free strawberry preserves, and 1/2 a banana. Oh, I cooked my oats with small amount of stevia and healthy dash of cinnamon. I know I don't normally post breakfast or lunch eats, but this was just too yummy.

Today I decided to do chest, back, shoulders this morning using a drop set method. I did each exercise using the same weight, but dropping the number of reps with each set: 12, 10, 8, 6.

Chest
Flat bench flyes
Flat bench DB presss
Incline flyes
Incline DB press
Back
Double-arm row (flat back)
Pullovers - 25
Underhand DB rows's
Shoulders
Standing DB press
Side lateral raises 
Rear delt press

After weights, Jason and I decided to go for a run while the weather was still holding up. The dogs pretty much invited themselves along, so the first 1.5 miles was a bit stop and go. We ended up doing a little over 4 miles total today though my left hip flexor was feeling super tight. I really hope I don't regret it tomorrow, which is scheduled to be a leg day.

Saturday Salad
We had some grocery errands to run. I picked up some almond butter today. I am almost afraid to open it for fear I'll eat the whole jar, or at least more than I should eat in a single sitting! Since it was still mostly sunny and warm, we decided to have a late lunch at a restaurant we enjoy for the patio dining option. It was so nice to sit outside and eat. The temps were hovering at 70 today. It's so hard to believe that it's only supposed to be 45 tomorrow. Spring is such a tease isn't it?

Since our lunch was so late, neither of us wanted a super heavy dinner. I've been wanting a taco salad lately, thanks to seeing some delicious looking salads posted by some of the bloggers I follow. So, I decided to do a Lentil Taco Salad. Basically, I cooked up some lentils and spiced them up with cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper, chili powder, and garlic. I topped a bed of lettuce and spinach with the lentils, fresh tomatoes, diced red and yellow bell peppers, jalapenos, and some salsa. Rather than using tortilla chips, I crisped up whole-grain tortillas that I spiced up with salt, garlic powder, and chili powder.
 I did end up adding some shredded 2% Mexican-blend cheese. I think that a Cheeseless Queso would have actually have been better. Other topping options could be sliced olives, corn, or sour cream.

Comments

  1. I think your pics are getting better and better! Love all the colors working together....it makes the food really POP! Not a good thing bc I'm already one inch away from the screen to lick it. lol.

    Ah, I've never tried grilled pizza before...I think I'll like it because I love burnt food. To a degree, of course. :-)
    Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm your salad looks terrific :) yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks fabulous! I am a huge fan of grilled pizza and PB&J oatmeal too. Love the muffuletta pizza idea. Thanks so much for sharing that, can't wait to try it!

    Do you have a foam roller? It works well for me when my hips are tight.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you love the almond butter???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything you made looks so good. Esp grilled pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophia @ Burp and Slurp I'll take the wanting to lick the screen as a big compliment! ;-) We actually enjoy grilled pizzas and even grilled quesadillas. YUM.

    Hi Michelle @ The Garlic Chronicles ! Thanks for stopping by. Love your blog title by the way!

    Alicia @ Vegan Epicurean I love the oatmeal so much I had a take-2 of it this morning! I'll be curious as to how you do your pizza. Seitan perhaps? I probably need to get a foam roller actually.

    Jessica @ EatDrinkBreatheSweat how'd you know I opened it?? LOL You know, I didn't just LOVE it like everyone else seems to. I think I prefer peanut butter to the almond. I'm sure I'm going to be cast out of blogger land now!!

    Lisa @ I'm an Okie Thanks so much for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE Pizza Fridays! We are going to do pizza Sunday later today!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of yummy posts while I've been away! I love this pb&j oatmeal idea, I can't believe that didn't occur to me before. Seems like the jelly would offer the perfect amount of sweet and fruitiness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah @ The Ordinary Vegetarian the last time I had make a PB oatmeal I thought about adding raisins for the idea of PJB but then had one of those, duh, just at the jelly moments. I found a really tasty sugar-free strawberry jam. So good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.