Skip to main content

Rest Day, Thai Day

Resting on Hump Day
I don't know what is up with me this week. I am feeling totally drained. I've been getting in my workouts, but they are getting more difficult as the days go by. Today should have been weights - 3 sets of 15 reps supersetted and going up in weight. In all honesty, the thought of doing weights today made me want to run away. Only my legs were too tired for that. While I have lowered the intensity levels of my indoor workouts (doing easier step or kickboxing rather than HIIT, Plyo, and Intervals) I have increased my running a great deal over the past 2 weeks. I think the increased mileage and speed coupled with additional leg work is finally catching up with me. Or that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I did start feeling that itch to lift upper body towards the afternoon though. But in reality, I knew I was truly fatigued and the workout would have suffered. And yes, I had to remind myself of that truth over and over. I also kept thinking about the fact that it's supposed to rain Fri-Mon. That means no run and indoor workouts. So in my mind, it would have been more ideal to do a workout today, run tomorrow, and take Friday off. Think, think, thinking....sometimes I over think.

Anyway, enough of that drama as I'm sure it get old to hear. I'm just venting or "blogging it out" as my pal Jessica would say. I do appreciate you all for sticking with me and "hearing" me out.

Thai Day
Since it was my rest day from weights and exercise, I decided to make it a rest day from kitchen duties as well. Jason offered to make dinner. I did, of course, have my hands in at least the cutting of the veggies. I just can't help myself sometimes. He made us a nice Thai dinner. The recipe originally came off the jar of Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste and has been slowly adapted to our tastes. This time we used a different red paste that had a little more heat, more to our liking. Anyway, here's our Thai Veggies with Rice recipe:

Thai Veggies with Rice
 Ingredients:
1 can lite coconut milk
2-3 tbsp red curry paste (depending on heat level)
1 tsp agave nectar
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 package Quorn Chik'n Tenders (optional can sub your protein source)
Basil (Thai basil if you have)
Red chili flakes (optional depending on desired heat level)
1 cup cooked brown rice (barley or rice noodles would work well too)

Directions:
In large non-stick skillet, saute carrots, onion, bell peppers until soft, add in coconut milk, curry paste, agave nectar, and basil. Let reduce then stir in Quorn and peas and let cook until heated through.

Serve over rice, barley, or rice noodles.


This is really an uncomplicated sauce and meal. It's also easy to adjust the flavors to your liking.

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear about how drained you've been, girl. I hope you get the rest you need-- don't push it! You'll come back to your regular workouts when you're ready!

    Dinner looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a good thing to take a break. You may have been overdoing it. I am glad you rested. ;-)

    Jason did a great job with dinner. It sounds and looks great. I hope you relaxed some this evening.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg ! Tomorrow's a new day right?! Dinner was good too ;-)

    Alicia @ Vegan Epicurean Me? Overdo something??? LOL. I don't know which was harder, resting from a workout or cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for taking a day off of everything! I'm sure that your rest day will energize you for whatever workouts you have planned for tomorrow. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to listen to your body and I'm glad you did. Also, it is good for us to take a full rest for a week or so every few months. If you haven't done that in awhile, your body may just be letting you know that is what it needs now. It will only help rejuvenate you to do your workouts even better in the future, instead of being rundown and not doing them with the same gusto now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eunice @ rainbwsnkittns I am so used to always doing something that just sitting back felt like I was somehow slacking. Nuts I know. Hope you're having a good evening too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina @ Tina Bit of Faith Fitness and Fun Girl I have never taken a full week off! My idea of a week off would be cardio only, no weights. Bad bad bad, I know. I am trying really hard to do good and listen to my body. Some days are easier than others of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can never get enough of Thai food, this dish looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. could it be the full moon too? ive been hearing from a lot of people that theyre feeling drained because of the full moon.

    either way, a good rest will motivate u for a good workout the next time.

    xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicci @ Nifty Eats We don't make it often enough. I need to find a good vegetarian/vegan Thai recipe book.

    Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel Interesting idea on the moon. May do some searching and see if there tends to be a correlation. And you're right about rest usually making for a better workout the next day! Or here's to hoping anyway ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy, do I know how you feel!! I'm telling ya, blogging it out really DOES help figure out what's going on, especially when your workouts start to suffer and you can't figure out the culprit. Good job listening to your body and resting, I know all too well how hard it is to LISTEN! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum...that dinner looks pretty awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really bad at rest days. And when someone tries to cook for me I'm always like "well here let me at least chop that... are you sure you want the stove that hot?..." etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Beautiful!!
    Don't ever worry about over think and over typing...this is your place to speak!! :)
    I am always thinking about which workout to do on which days according to the weather/time/energy-level...it helps me to keep my routine a mix! (like today it's sunny, but not too warm, and it's supposed to be hot this weekend, so I'm saving up my running legs for the weekend and heading to the gym to lift/spin!) hehe!
    I hope you are having a fabulous thursday! LOVE the thai recipe! :)
    ~xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so smart to be aware and listen to your body....i am proud of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! I can make this thai dish I think, I have coconut milk :) It looks so good! Aren't thai spices the best??

    I think you are good to have a rest....I love my rest days and I hear you with the workouts being harder lately. I feel that it takes me longer to recover too, I wonder why?

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jessica @ EatDrinkBreatheSweat It did help to sort of get it all out there. I think it's the additional leg work I've added to this rotation plus the extra mileage on the running. I'm definitely glad I took the day off.

    Kelly @ Healthy Living with Kelly Not only was it tasty, I didn't have to make it! ;-)

    Lele @ Lele Lurves Plants Funny how most people would savor a rest day that included someone cooking for them huh?!

    Lizzy @ Healthy Bites Conquer Athlete Appetite Glad I'm not the only one constantly planning and plotting workouts and when this one would be best and that one should go. I wonder just how much time I do actually spend planning LOL. Happy Thursday to you too!

    Kalli @ Fit and Forty Something Thanks girl - sometimes it's easier to listen than others. My body was yelling at me and I got it loud and clear!

    Kris @ iheartwellness This recipe is just so easy and versatile actually. It'd be great with cauliflower and broccoli too. Oh and peanut butter would be a great flavor addition. I'm afraid my recover periods are getting longer as I get older LOL, but I'd like to find another reason that sounds better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you reminded me! My sister in law (who is Thai) sent me an entire Thai cookbook! I cant wait to get into now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa @ I'm an Okie Oh, can't wait to see what you make with your cookbook! What's the title?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.