Skip to main content

Holy High Reps

Procrastination
I'm glad most of you all seemed to appreciate the post about why it's important to take a rest day. I know that my rest day certainly helped me get through today's super high rep weight day. The thought of the reps alone made me want to take another rest day to be quite honest. I happily procrastinated this morning. I started off making steel cut oats with cinnamon apples and peanut butter. Then we hit Target, Home Depot, and the new local food market I mentioned a few weeks ago. We just needed a few produce restocks like more spinach (locally grown), bell peppers, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and blueberries. Also snagged some giant portobellos. Can't wait to eat those.

Out of Control Reps
I finally couldn't procrastinate any longer (well, I could have of course), so I got to it. Today was 3 sets of 18 reps of the following:

Chest - Incline dumbbell press
Back - Pullovers
Quads - Squats
Calves - Calf raises
Biceps - Dumbbell curls
Triceps - Double arm kickbacks
Legs - Static lunges
Shoulders - Lateral raises

After the weights, I did MMA Kickboxing plus the abs then stretch. When I first finished the weights, I didn't think I had hit my legs all that hard. They felt just fine until I started to walk down the stairs. Oh thank goodness for railing!


Playing in the Dirt
Rain and storms were in the forecast, but they luckily held off most of the day. We had a major storm roll through around 2am. Poor Heath Man is just terrified. I ended up sitting in the floor trying to console him while we waited for the calming medicine to work. It was gray and soupy feeling all day. Since it wasn't raining, I did take the opportunity to get some more plants planted in the front and in a few of the large flower pots I have. I also got some more veggies planted: red bell pepper (something ate my other one), white eggplant (never had this so why not try it), jalapenos, Anaheim peppers, some other pepper variety Jason picked up, and zucchini.

Since the rain was still holding out (gotta love forecasts that are so incredibly off), we did a grilled salad for dinner with: new potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, red and green bell peppers, portobellos, red onion and tempeh over spinach and leaf lettuce.
In my opinion, it's really hard to go wrong with a grilled veggie salad of any kind.

Comments

  1. Yay for the weathermen being wrong. Glad you could do a few things outside. Sorry Heath has such a hard time with storms. My little ones don't like thunder and lightening either.

    Ouch for that workout. I would have procrastinated too. You are quite the trooper. ;-)

    I agree completely, there is nothing wrong with a grilled veggie salad. Perfect anytime.

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 15, 2010

    amen. i haven't had a rest day in a few weeks. horrible, I KNOW. I'm taking one tomorrrow! Ahh..high reps always get me too! Great job on the workouts! Sounds like you're kickin some booty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kickboxing! And your salad looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your tofu AND tempeh is always picture perfect. wow. i still havent tried the freezing routine but plan to.

    have a super sunday heather, and the comment/email reply, truly NO worries!!! whatsoever!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... that salad looks awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep telling myself it's important to take rest days, but I feel so restless and lazy on days when I don't work out!

    That grilled salad looks like such a perfect summer meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alicia @ Vegan Epicurean It's just hard to plan when you never know if they're going to be right or wrong isn't it?! LOL. I was happy they were wrong this time so we could grill out.

    Lizzy @ Fit Lizzio Enjoy your rest day girl!!!

    Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries I've really been enjoying the kickboxing too. Step was really starting to aggravate my plantar fasciitis too much to continue.

    Averie @ Loves Veggies and Yoga Thanks love!! You're too sweet.

    Simple Daisy Thank you. We love grilled salads this time of year.

    Chelsea @ The Healthy Munchkin Learn to appreciate the rest days or at least do something very low in intensity. Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to checking out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousMay 16, 2010

    I love spending the day in the dirt! You should post some pics of your plants!

    Have a great Sunday, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for gardening and attending to mother earth <3 oh and i hear ya about the weather forcasting.. i feel they never quite get it right or its WAYYY OFF! they do best at predicting what the weather CURRENTLY is in any given area haha.. cuz thats obvious right...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fresh local produce! It always tastes so much better!!

    Lol, I have been thankful the weather forecast here has said clouds, etc, but it has been summer temps with SUN all week.....ahhh I love it!

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousMay 16, 2010

    i think a rest day is on tap for me today too.....thank you again for that post! i agree nothing can go wrong with grilled veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousMay 16, 2010

    MMM! That salad looks so good!! I'm definitely giving that one a whirl in the near future. Been meaning to try sweet potatoes in my next salad, maybe it'll be this week, thanks to your inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousMay 16, 2010

    wow I don't think I ever get past 15 reps and 2 circuits. you're inspirational!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel One of my favorite parts of summer is having the garden all access to fresh veggies all the time! Sometimes I don't think the weather people even have it right at that moment LOL

    Kris @ iheartwellness Fresh, local produce is always soooo much better isn't it?! Ah, love wonderfully sunny weeks.

    Kalli @ Fit and Forty Something It really is hard to go wrong with grilled veggies. So tasty (and healthy). Hope you're having a great weekend.

    Jessica @ EatDrinkBreatheSweat Sweet potatoes with black beans over spinach is soooo good. You could get a 2 for one recipe try with grilled veggies (including grilled sweet potatoes) on a salad. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg When the plants start to produce, then I definitely will post some pictures and maybe along with a recipe that included the fresh veggies. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katherine @ What About Summer 18 reps is NOT easy that's for sure. I am counting along and at 14 realize I still have 4 more reps...sigh....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.