Skip to main content

Let's Talk Runner's High & Fun Facts Friday

Running High
Well, after the impromptu 5-mile run yesterday, today is most definitely a rest day. My sister is coming to stay the night with me tomorrow, so I do have some chores to get done and errands to run. So, the rest day works out quite nicely.

Now here's a question for you all: What is runner's high?

I have always assumed I've never experienced it because I thought it was this fantastic, euphoric feeling of pure endorphins. I've heard people say that it's like literally being high. I imagine dancing on clouds with a big cheesy grin, spinning in meadows with eyes closed, skipping through fields of sunlit daisies. This is NOT how I feel after a run, even a very good run like last night.

Last night was probably one of my best runs so far. I felt like I could have run forever. I truly felt like I hit my stride; everything just clicked. When I was done, I still felt strong and, of course, accomplished. Is that runner's high? Maybe that's MY runner's high.

I have heard people suggest many different definitions of this elusive phenomena. Perhaps that is why it seems just that, elusive, mysterious. Perhaps it is it different for each person?

What is your runner's high?


Fun Facts Friday
I know you probably won't believe me, but there really won't be Pizza Friday. My sister has requested homemade pizza tomorrow night, so my wish is her command. So, dinner will be a complete surprise tonight that I will share with you tomorrow. I have no idea what we'll end up making. We might get creative, we might not. That's the beauty of going with the flow on Friday.

Speaking of Friday, let's do Fun Facts Friday now. Today I thought it would be fun to share nicknames. We all have at least one right? How did we get it and who gave it to us? I thought I'd share 3 names I answer to, who gave them, and why.

1. Rosie - My mother calls me Rosie because my middle name is Rosa after her grandmother, who I called Mama Rosie. It also doesn't hurt that I have rosie red cheeks.
2. Red - My dad calls me Red as I have red hair (and often cheeks).
3. Stit - My sister calls me Stit because as a child she could not say "sister" correctly and would say "stitter" (insert pause between "stit" and "ter"). It eventually was shortened to Stit.
Now it's your turn! Share at least one nickname (more if you would like). If you feel so inclined, I'd love to hear how you got the name and who gave it to you.

Comments

  1. i sued to get the runners high but for some reason i havent anymore! im really not sure why!?! i mean i get that high more from walking now or yoga which is really strange....

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg my family actually calls me snacking squirrel...its a tad embarassing :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 21, 2010

    yup you got it! that's runner's high - when you dont even feel like you're running and you can just keep going forever. the first 3 miles of my run is always death and then after that, i can just go forever as long as i am mentally down to do it. running for me is not really physical, i know i can do it. it's allllll about how i feel mentally though. sometimes i think, OMG i'm going to be running for 2 hours? wat the hell? haha!

    good work though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 21, 2010

    Um dear? That WAS runner's high if you ask me. It's that feeling of being able to run forever, like your legs are moving with minimal effort and you're just in it to win it. And after? You are just so exhilarated and excited that you felt so damn good that you are high on pride. That's how I feel when I get a good run in like that, anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my friends once gave me the nickname Tinabell. At first it was sweet but then everyone thought I loved Tinkerbell and it became annoying. LOL

    I don't know the runner's high feeling, but I love the super strong feeling I get after a great workout. I imagine it is similar to that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel That's interesting you feel that "high" from other exercise. Guess that's the workout for you huh?! Too cute on the snacking squirrel.

    Jessica @ Living in the Kitchen, Gym and Mall You are soooo right about it being very mental!

    Jessica @ EatDrinkBreatheSweat Thanks girl. Guess I can say I have had runner's high then. You've seen Chris post about feeling high though right? I don't feel quite like that.

    Tina @ Tina Bit of Faith Fitness and Fun Tinabell is cute! Though I could see how getting it confused with Tinkerbell could be VERY annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't run, but I think I get a work out high. Honestly, I can tell a huge difference between the days that i work out and the days I don't. I am way more energetic on the days I get going and get my adrenaline going. I would imagine that is similar to a runner's high. My family calls me Pookie (like Garfield's teddy bear) and Rena (because my little sister could not say "s". It's so funny how nicknames come about! Enjoy your sister! I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. I guess my runners high is really a high. I don't get it every run, and I used to get it a lot more when I first started running. It starts out with me feeling on top of the world, strong, and completely energized, then fades into chills and a euphoric feeling all over my body. I am running with a huge grin on my face. After, I feel like I might need a cigarette. haha. But really, it is that good. ;)

    In my book, you have yet to feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone usually calls me Kel (short for Kelly...real original huh?) haha! But one of my friends in Dallas calls me Bratty McBratterson (I have totally EARNED that one! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousMay 22, 2010

    hmm thats actually a really good question. To me a runners high is either feeling really accomplished after the run - like you could conquer the world or during the run when your running really fast but feel no pain/its effortless. haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like runners high to me too. I love feeling like I can run forever. :-)

    Nicknames are a funny thing. I have a few like you do. The most common is Ali (short for Alicia) that I got in college and it stuck. My husband also likes to call me "The Nutrition Nazi" (like the Soup Nazi in Seinfeld) which is his way of not so subtly telling me I am going too far. You can't imagine that I know LOL. ;-)

    I hope you are having a great weekend,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarena @ The Non-Dairy Queen Cute nicknames! Thanks for sharing.

    Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete LOL - love the cigarette. Too funny. Thanks for sharing!

    Kelly @ Healthy Living with Kelly Love the Bratty McBratterson! That tells me A LOT! ;-)

    The Rabbit Runner Ah - no pain, that makes sense too about feeling "high" rather than beat.

    Alicia @ Vegan Epicurean Haha - I'm going to start referring to you as Nutrition Nazi now ;-) teehee!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.