Skip to main content

Rock-N-Busy Saturday

Rock-N-Friday Night
Jason and I had fun at the baseball game. It was warm, but not terrible. It cooled off nicely as the sun began to set. The park wasn't packed either as it was the opening night for Riverfest. I put the pizza dough in the bread machine and set the timer so that the dough would be ready for us when we got home. The Travs were losing terribly, so we left at the top of the 7th inning. It was just too sad to watch.

So, we still managed to have Pizza Friday. No surprise there though right? My half was the usual Greek style. Jason decided to use hot sauce and BBQ sauce mixed together for his "sauce" and topped with sauteed green bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms. We topped the whole pizza with the Daiya Mozzarella flavored vegan cheese. It looked like a cheesy, gooey mess. But it was soooo tasty.

We started watching Couples Retreat. We weren't able to finish it because it was getting late and we needed to get to sleep since we needed to get up somewhat early for the race. It's a pretty good movie. It's definitely one that I'm glad we didn't see at the theater but rather waited to Netflix.

Rock-N-Stroll
Well, the race this morning started at 9 am. That meant that we didn't really have to get up super early for a Saturday. However, I was too nervous to sleep past 7 am. I pretty much woke up just before 6 and never went back to sleep. So I got up, had some Kashi cereal with 1/2 a banana and started drinking lots of water. The temps were already hovering at 70 degrees. I started to wish the race started at 8 instead.

We got there and did ran about 10 minutes to warm up. Of course I questioned my own sanity several time as we started to line up. Oh, I must do a quick caveat that costumes (especially rock costumes) were encouraged. So lined up with me was Slash, Axle Rose, and a Red Crayon. My mindset going into this race was not to set any personal records, but rather to try to pace myself better - something I am horrible about.

I hit mile 1 at 7:20 (same as the last race). I knew I needed to slow down just a bit, but not too much. I did well with that and hit mile 2 at 15:20 (better than the last race). I felt so much better throughout this entire race to be honest. I was pushing myself, but I didn't have the shredded lung sensation. It's not that it wasn't easy or that I wasn't going hard, I was, but something was clicking better. Better enough to set my own race PR with a time of 24:12, which was good enough for 2nd overall female.

I was very proud of myself and my time. However, I was annoyed to be passed by the Red Crayon. I mean seriously? He beat me wearing a full-length red felt crayon costume. Oh, and the girl who won first, well, she shouldn't count. Ok, she was wearing a cow costume, this was her 2nd (yes 2nd) race of the day, AND she is freaking training for the Olympics. Humph.
Post-race events were actually really nice. They had a band, food like pizza (no I didn't eat it), bananas, oranges (oh yum after a race), and a few freebies to snag up. Not a bad way to begin a Saturday.


Rock-N-Girls' Lunch
My mom and sister came up around noonish . I made lunch for us - a Squash & Chickpea Quinoa Salad. It was super easy to throw together. I mean, I did make it at 7:15 this morning before the race after all. It couldn't be anything terribly difficult!

Squash & Chickpea Quinoa Salad
Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water or broth
2 small yellow squash, diced
1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
To taste: salt, pepper, dried fire roasted tomatoes, tomato basil splice blend
Mince shallots (dried or fresh)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Directions:
Cook quinoa according to package directions. I added in the shallots while cooking. After it was cooked, I added salt, pepper, dried fire roasted tomato flakes, and the tomato basil spice blend.

Saute onion until tender then add in the squash and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until squash is just softening.

Combine quinoa, squash, and chickpeas in large bowl. Re-season as needed.
After lunch we headed over to the mall. What's a Girls' Day without a bit of shopping??? No serious damage was done, but we all did leave with a few new items. I'm wearing my new sandals as I type this (8 bucks thank you very much).

Rock-N-Patio Time
Jason was working diligently on getting our pool in order. I decided that a bit of patio lounging was a must-do for a Saturday on a long weekend. I sat out with a book and few magazines for a little over an hour. It was nice to sit and relax after a busy day. And as if the race, a girls' lunch, and patio time weren't enough for one day, we will also be going Riverfest to watch the Black Crows play. I'll be sure to do a recap of that tomorrow along with dinner. I have no idea what to make before we head out. I feel like I must do something on the grill. I think that's mandatory on Memorial Weekend.

I hope you all are having a fantastic Saturday!

Comments

  1. congrats! and the stuff you said about the girl who got first cracked me up. you are speedy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 29, 2010

    Ahhhhh, CONGRATS!!!! What a great trophy!

    "I was annoyed to be passed by red crayon"...LOL. You crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the run! That is exciting! I need to be laying out by the pool, but I have not pool. Besides, it is to freakin' hot here! We made pizza tonight...I love making pizza! Enjoy your evening...can't wait to hear about the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, you are amazing! I doubt I will ever be that fast of a runner, but it is obvious that you work really hard and totally deserve it! And you have to admit, when you look back, saying that you were passed by a Red Crayon is kind of funny. Hope you have a relaxing rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did awesome! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn that red crayon. haha.
    I love quinoa and I love this salad. I want to start using quinoa more for summer salads.
    Glad you had a nice Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2nd place female! wow thats rediculously amazing!

    id be so proud of that trophy. def something worth showing!! way to go <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! The only woman in front of you is training for the Olympics. Clearly, she doesn't count, LOL. Gotta love a new PR, good for you! I would have loved to see the Red Crayon, too bad you didn't get a pic of that costume.

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations my friend!! I am so happy for you!

    You are amazing when you set your mind too it! Keep on rocking your fitness love :)

    Your food always looks amazing...I think I tell you this all the time!
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go! You must be so proud of yourself. Pretty amazing to only get beat by one person, especially if she's training for the Olypmics.

    Glad you had such a great day:)

    Oh, and I loved the red crayon comment. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Tricia @ Endurance Isn't Only Physical !

    Janetha @ Meals & Moves Glad I could give a laugh ;-)

    Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg Thanks girl. And seriously - a red crayon????

    Sarena @ The Non-Dairy Queen Oh now you know I'm all over the pizza making too!

    Thanks Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries you're too sweet. Oh I totally see the humor in it - passed by a crayon and beaten by a cow.

    Krystina @ Organically Me Thanks sweetie - hope you're having a great weekend!

    Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian Quinoa is so great for salads b/c it can be hot or cold.

    Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel Thanks girl. Kind of funny to be getting trophies and medals at my age. Never had the as a kid!

    Alicia @ Vegan Epicurean I thought at least someone would agree with me that she just shouldn't count. I soooo wish I'd had my camera with me. We didn't want to carry a bunch of stuff and didn't even think to take the small camera and stash in the car.

    Kris @ iheartwellness Thank you so much - you are always so kind! I don't mind you telling me how awesome my food is LOL ;-)

    Candice @ ChiaSeedMe I am definitely happy with my time and how I did. It was a good race/good day. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You ARE my running idol, I wish I could run that fast!! awesome awesome job (and I'd be annoyed if the red crayon passed me too - LOL!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!! You're AMAZING!! I can only dream, fantasize, wish that I could place in the top 5. GOOD JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome job girlie! Your pizza would have been perfect for me and P! I'd love the greek and he'd love the spicy BBQ. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousMay 30, 2010

    oh i love the hot sauce/bbq sauce combo on the pizza-sounds great! happy sunday heather!

    ReplyDelete
  16. AnonymousMay 30, 2010

    oh and good job on your race!!!! duh me.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah Jolene @ To Be Determined Thanks girl!!! I'll never be able to look at a red crayon the same again!

    Evelyn @ Cheers to Healthy Thanks so much!

    Lindsay @ Pancakes N Pajamas It's great to be able to do a his/hers pizza isn't it?! Hope you're having a great weekend too!

    Kalli @ Fit and Forty Something Thanks so much, I hope you're having a great Sunday as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. GREAT JOB GIRL!!! You are freaking awesome!!! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. AnonymousMay 31, 2010

    Um hello? That is an insanely impressive PR!! No way man. I'm soooo slow!! We could never run together LOL! Nicely done, as usual :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.