Skip to main content

Weights, Run, & Road Trip Details

Two on Tuesday
This morning my eyes opened wide at 4:55 am. I tried to go back to sleep, but quickly realized I was only fooling myself. So I got up and got my workouts done. Today was leg day with quad focus.

Wide-stance squats - 3x8
Rear leg elevated lunges - 3x10
Firewalkers - 8 total
Narrow-stance squats - 3x10
Static lunges - 3x10
Squats with low-end pulse - 3x8
Wall squats with ball - 6 reps of squat with 10 sec hold
Outer thigh raises with ankle weights on ball - 2x24

We had storms roll through last night, so the temperatures dropped finally. It was 74 this morning, so I decided to take advantage of that and get in a short 20-minute run. When I first started out, I seriously didn't think I was going to get very far. My legs were already yelling at me. But, about half a mile into the run, they loosened up and it felt good.

What's the Deal With the Road Trip?
I am really glad I got the workouts done early. I feel like I still have so much to do to get ready for my upcoming trip. I, perhaps, been slightly glossing over it. It's not intentional, I am just not sure how many of my readers really understand what this trip means (and I don't mean that in a negative way at all mind you). So, here's the deal:

I have been working out to Cathe Friedrich DVDs for about 5 years (?) now. I have sort of lost track. It all started with just the step aerobic workouts, then it escalated to weights and circuit workouts. Last year I did a 3.5 month round of her kick-ass weight rotation called STS. I have tried many many other instructors, and always go right back to Cathe. Why? For me she is a perfect fit. She is beyond personable, she looks incredibly fit, she is one instructor that always has good form (sorry, but there are some that are horrible). I feel comfortable that she knows her stuff basically.

She also has a forum and does indeed take the time to answer questions and interact. As well, it allows other fans to "meet" and talk about workouts, even do daily check ins. It's an incredibly supportive environment. Even better, 2 blogger buddies (Jessica and Jolene) just happen to be fellow "Catheletes" and join in on the forum. Cathe's studio is in New Jersey, and she does an annual event called the Cathe Road Trip. It is only open to 105 registrants. While I always wanted to attend, I never dreamed I would.

But, Jessica and Jolene gently (well, more than gently) urged, begged, pleaded, threatened me...so on the day that the registration opened up, I sat there with the page open, waiting for the registration to begin. I entered my info and sat there with my finger on the enter button. I hadn't even told Jason that I was seriously considering this. He knew I wanted to, that I had talked about it, but to really do it???? I hit submit and half hoped that the registration was already full. But, I got in. I was absolutely panicked to be honest. I had that, "What the hell did I just do?" moment. Then I had to tell Jason what the hell I had just done.

I will definitely be posting the full schedule of events, but basically there are 6 classes between Friday at 5:15 pm and Sunday morning at 7 am. Will I be able to even breathe??? When Jason saw the schedule, his response was, "HOLY CRAP! Will you even have time to pee?"

Jason is flying up with me and then going to spend Friday-Sunday morning with some good friends in Maryland. Then, Jason and I will hang out in Philadelphia and be tourists. I mean, we had to fly into Philly, why not take a couple of days to enjoy it???

Here's the big kicker, I hate to fly. I get so anxious and stressed out that I typically am in tears long before we even see the airport. So, as much as I don't like to rely on medication, today I went to the doctor to get a prescription for some anxiety medication (used it the last time I flew and Jason won't fly with me unless I take it). So, in addition to freaking out about flying, I am a bit nervous about the Road Trip and all that it entails, and I am trying to get everything packed and in order - and all in a single carry on.

I know that I am going to have a blast. I also know that if there is something I forget, I can likely buy it there. I have also found several veg friendly restaurants in Philadelphia (another concern b/c I don't typically eat out so often) and look forward to visiting the city with Jason. I know that it is not healthy to stress, and basically does not good, so I am really trying to remind myself over and over again about how fun this is going to be, what a unique experience it will be, and the fact that I finally get to meet Jessica and Jolene. There are no words to describe how excited I am about this!

Sorry for that long ramble - if you didn't stick with me, I totally understand. So, now onto dinner and something a whole lot lighter (pics included of course).

Leftover Re-Make
Tonight I wanted something simple, and it also needed to use up things in the fridge. We had leftover Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce. We also had another portobello, a few new potatoes, and some asparagus. I decided to grill the new potatoes (seasoned with sea salt, rosemary, and garlic), the portobello (with balsamic vinaigrette), and asparagus. I heated up some Quorn Naked Chik'n Cutlets and topped them with Soy Kaas Montery Jack "cheese," tomato sauce, and the portobellos. For the asparagus, I squirted the with fresh lemon juice and seasoned with a lemon salt. I also grilled up some of the wheat French bread that I had made the other day.

It was really nice to be able to grill out again. It wasn't 100+ degrees out for a change, so standing around a grill wasn't more trouble than it was worth. I liked the extra flavor the portobellos added to the sauce and may use them in the future for a portobello tomato sauce.

Comments

  1. Your dinnner looks amazing! Yum!

    I'm a new reader. Feel free to check out my blog too The Nutritionist Reviews!
    I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you're going to have so much fun! I'm glad you got some medication for the flight-- it's better to have it than not, right? I'm glad you'll have Jason with you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww...what a super sweet post and I am SO GLAD our "gentle" strong-arming got you to take the plunge!!! It will be a blast, as anxious as you may be, it will be a weekend you will never EVER forget. Trust me. We will have a blast and I can't freakin wait to meet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually wanted to know more about the road trip! I am glad you went into more details. I have loved Cathe for years and honestly that is one of the things that really caught my eye with you. I have never met anyone else who knew who I was talking about. I am so excited for you. It is so hard to step outside of your comfort zone, but it is good to do. At least you have some people there for support! I can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, don't be nervous--I'm sure it will be a blast! Plus, the chance to meet Cathe F. is awesome! Make sure you get a picture with her (if you are able!) and bring back lots of blog stories!

    I'm right there with ya though on the flight anxiety thang. I'm flying to Austin next week and I have two Xanax with my name all over them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are going to have a great time and we want to hear all about it when you get back! ;-)

    Squats with a low-end pulse are one of my favorites.

    hugs,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! Hope you have a great time and that your meds make it a relaxed flight :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJuly 27, 2010

    How exciting! I know you are stressed but I think once you get there and get a feel for things you are going to have an incredible experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading how excited you are, how passionate, enjoy, and have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How ridiculous cool! That will be so much fun.. especially since you get to meet blogger friends and have a blast at killer workouts. I'm sorry you have to go thru the stress of flying, but sounds like it'll be more than worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. O that trip sounds like so much fun! I'd love to go with you! I'm not familiar with cathe but I'm sure I'd love it! meeting bloggers is so cool, its like you know them better than your real life friends sometimes cause blogs can be such a window into your soul. I;m sorry about the flying stress, my dad used to fly planes so when I was little, he explained to me mechanically what was going on when I got anxious. I dunno somehow hear it from someone that knows planes helped. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. trust me, i am the queen of signing up for things that sound/seem amazing months away and then as the time draws closer, i start wanting to bail on them. The things that I cant bail on, and must follow thru on, once i get over my anxiety, I love them! i.e. yoga trips who i dont know a soul, competitng in a fitness show and telling 5000 readers about it, etc :)

    You will have an awesome time, but yes, i hear you the lead up to it all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so exciting that you're going on the trip! I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. anti anxiety meds can seriously make a huge difference.seesh sometimes to whole process of flying is terrifying.. for me im not afraid when im in the air.. its the damn waiting around in the plain as my thoughts ruminate that get the adrenaline pumping! lol

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yea!!! So exciting! I love that you get to meet some bloggy friends :)

    I am in love with balsamic vinegar on veg!! This meal looks amazing and I am so happy you are able to grill again :)

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're going to have a blast! I'm all about taking anti anxiety if you need them. One of my girl friends is really afraid of flying too and she cried the entire flight the first time she flew..she hasn't flow again. Can't wait to hear all about it and your tourist time in Philly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your trip sounds AMAZING! I'm so jealous...I mean wildly happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amanda @ The Nutritionist Reviews Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to checking out your site!

    Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg Sometimes meds are a must and having him there will most definitely help.

    Jolene @ To Be Determined Oh I know it'll be non-stop fun once I finally get there!!! So excited.

    Sarena @ The Non-Dairy Queen Through blogging, I finally realized that there are definitely others out there who know who Cathe is and love her. You should really check out her forum sometime. Yes, I'm a sucker for sticking to my comfort zone!

    Laura @ B Foxy Fitness Oh I can't even begin to explain how cool this will be to actually meet Cathe in person. I was given generic for Ativan. So glad to hear I'm not alone on the flight anxiety.

    Alicia @ Vegan Epicurean I like to do low-end pulses for squats, plie squats, and static lunges. I'm a sucker for torture. Glad I'm not alone ;-)

    Eunice @ Food 4 Fitness Thanks girl!!!!

    Madeline @ Greens and Jeans That's what I keep reminding myself of.

    Frosty Duncan @ Hope in a Basket Thanks - I'm sure I'll have an absolute blast!

    Alyson @ Nourished Fitness I am thinking the flight will be worth it for sure, otherwise I wouldn't be going I can assure you. I hate flying that much. The ends will justify the means...

    Eden's Eats I totally agree with you on the in real life friends vs blogger friends. I really feel like I know, truly know, some of you guys. It's such an interesting concept isn't it. We have a friend who is a pilot (actually flew with him on a 4-seater, 2 ativan thank you) and knowing "stuff" doesn't matter. It's more of the claustrophobia, having zero control, the crowds....

    Averie @ Loves Veggies and Yoga Haha, yep, once you post it on the blog, it's out there and you're stuck then!

    Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well. Thanks girl - I'm sure I'll have to do it in a 2-part blog post (maybe 3)!

    Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel Oh yes, the waiting is a killer isn't it. That's when you have time to "think" and sometimes that's not a good thing!

    Kris @ iheartwellness Thanks sweetie. I've definitely been missing out on being able to grill.

    Lindsay @ Pancakes N Pajamas Oh I've been there - crying on the way to the airport, in the airport, on the plane. People start to really get nervous around me.

    Joanna Sutter @ Fitness & Spice Thanks so much! I really appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  19. AnonymousJuly 28, 2010

    Heather, thanks for sharing this info about your trip.....I have been wondering what it entailed. What and amazing opportunity for you but I would feel the same way because I HATE TO FLY too. I have to take xanax and even then I have to make sure I am deep breathing and thinking positive thoughts. So glad you are doing it it sounds like it is well worth it for sure. Can't wait to see the shcedule of events :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. AnonymousJuly 28, 2010

    AHHH! Love this!! You are so sweet - I can't wait to meet you either!! It's killing me - all this anticipation! And I PROMISE that the arm-twisting will be WORTH it, you will LOVE every single minute of the RT, that much I can absolutely 100% guarantee. If not, you can twist my arm and we'll be even, mmk? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hang in there on the flight, so sorry to hear about your anxiety. Focus on the destination -- which is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i hope you have a blast! it sure does sound like this is exactly what you want to do. have fun! don't pass out!

    I agree with Nichole, focus on the destination and your fabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That trip sounds like a blast! I am so glad you are excited!
    Dinner looks amazing. Gotta love grilling!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like a dream trip for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think that it is so awesome you're going on this trip! I hope you have the time of your life!! Philly is an awesome city too, I'm way jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kalli @ Fit and Forty Something I am so glad I am not the only one who has to be medicated!

    Jessica @ EatDrinkBreatheSweat At this point, the anticipation is killing me too! Yes, if it ends up horrible - you can believe I'll be twisting your arm ;-) LOL

    Nichole @ Live for the Run That's exactly what I'm trying to do - just focus on what's to come.

    Kenzie @ A Healthy Purpose Jason might wish I'd pass out then he could just carry me on the plane ;-) LOL

    Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian and
    Fit Chick in the City Thanks ladies!!!

    Alycia @ Fit n Fresh Oh so you gotta give me the inside scoop then!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't like flying either so I completely understand!!! I always suck it up and get on the plane, but I don't enjoy it! I'm sure you'll be fine though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good luck with the flight! I absolutely hate flying more than anything!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, man, I do not like to fly. I have enough sense of adventure to pull me through each time, though. Flying with kids helps me because I am forced to plaster a smile on my face so they won't be scared! :) When I'm flying with my husband, I'm constantly grabbing his arm and asking him to analyze each little noise or shift in movement.

    It's interesting how we all have our different fears. I would probably require medication to public speak. Or take part in such a rigorous workout weekend. :) I'm so proud of you for overcoming your fears, though, and pushing yourself to become a better person inside and out.

    I look forward to traveling to Philly one day. I haven't been yet. Look forward to your pics!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.