Skip to main content

Dallas Days 1 and 2

Safe & Sound in Dallas
Well, we had a fairly easy, uneventful trip to Dallas. Typically uneventful when driving is good. Oh, well I guess there was a vehicle just in front of us that had a blow out. So, maybe marginally eventful.
We made pretty good time with only a minor detour.

It was getting close to 8pm by the time we checked in and got to our rooms. I decided to just heat up one of the Amy's frozen dinners I brought with me. The restaurant in the hotel didn't really have too much to offer. I almost never have frozen dinners. I'll say I was pleasantly surprised with the lasagna entree - Roasted Vegetable Lasagna. This one wasn't vegan, but they say that it's made from hormone-free milk and does not contain animal enzymes or rennet. There is another one I brought that is vegan. I am kind of looking forward to trying it now. I was honestly skeptical about how well these would taste and how filling they'd be. They're not something I'd buy regularly, but in a pinch and for trips like this, it is great.

A Hotel Gym Workout
This morning I got up and made use of the hotel's gym. As seems fairly typical of hotel gyms, 2 of the 3 treadmills were broken and the one that wasn't, was ancient. Why oh why can they not keep up with the maintenance. I sometimes think that if they won't keep up with the equipment, then they really shouldn't even bother having it. It can be dangerous even, especially when the tread is lumpy and off track. Not really sure I am going to be able to force myself on that thing 2 more times. I did 15 mins as a warm up then the weights then ended up hitting the elliptical for 10 mins at the end.

I love that they have free weights though. However, they were missing 12 lb weights so that sort of threw me off for my workout - shoulders and triceps. I did supersets and increased reps when I had to drop weight.

SS#1
Shoulder press 3x8
Overhead triceps extension 3-8

SS#2
Lateral raise - 8 regular, 4 2:2 x 3
Triceps kickbacks - 3x12

SS#3
Upright rows
Lying dumbbell triceps extensions

SS#4
Front raise/side raise - 2x8
Weighted dips - 2x8

Long Day in Class
Class went well enough, a bit tiring just sitting all day though. I felt totally drained. I typically don't ever have trouble keeping my eyes open, but today, the thought of coffee was sounding mighty good. Luckily, they did have a nice restaurant on site that had a pretty good salad bar. I brought along a cooler with some baked tofu and added that to my salad for the protein. I imagine I'll do the same tomorrow or bring one of my frozen meals as they do have a microwave in the break room.

Tonight one of my coworkers and I ended up going to eat at an Italian restaurant nearby called Two Guys From Italy. I completely forgot to take pictures of my dish. It was veggies sauteed in wine over pasta. I will admit that I was really a bit uneasy about eating out like that as most Italian dishes here are cheese laden dishes over white pasta. I mostly picked the veggies (broccoli, zucchini, red bell peppers & onions) off the pasta, but they were really flavorful - lots of garlic...ahhhh just the way I like it ;-)

I wanted to go by Sam Moons, and one of my coworkers wive's wanted him to go by there as well. It's less than a mile from our hotel. We tried going after dinner, but it was already closed. We plan on making it there tomorrow though. They have purses, shoes, jewelry (a girly girl's dream). My coworker's wife asked him to pick up a red necklace for Arkansas games. I have to make sure he picks out the right thing of course. Though, he swears she has at least 2 red necklaces already. He just doesn't get it. You need different lengths, styles, and shades of red too.

I made myself dessert when I got back to my room: caramel rice cake with natural peanut butter (should have brought more almond butter packets). Then I had to call my sis and catch up with her. And of course I had to talk to my hubby. I really hate being away from him like this. I know some people don't mind, even enjoy, being apart sometimes. But, I really don't.


How do you feel about being away from your significant other?

I feel terribly behind on blog reading. I do apologize. That's what happens when you get off routine I swear. I hope everyone had a good Monday! I also appreciate the well wishes for the trip. You guys are the best - seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.