Skip to main content

Trying New Things on Tuesday

Trying New Workout = Fail
Today was super busy at work. I have some seriously tight deadlines - as in MUST go live effective 10/1/10. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I ended up working through lunch and leaving around 3. I was really on the fence about working out. I had no idea what I wanted to do. My legs are still talking to me, so I knew it couldn't be anything over the top.

I good friend had been doing P90X, and I have heard so much about the cardio, including the Kenpo workout. He let me borrow it to see if I would like it. I thought I might try that one today rather than a step or plyo type workout. Ok, seriously, the intensity level on that is just nil. I was really terribly unimpressed. Even with weighted gloves on, my heart rate hovered at 120-ish. I finally got pretty fed up and stopped after about 15 minutes. It felt like such a waste of time.

So, moving on, I ended up doing 3 combos and blasts from Cathe's Low Impact Circuit then 1 combo from her Step Blast DVD then the abs also on that DVD. It's been a while since I've done that ab workout and it's a goody I must say.

Trying New Recipe = Win
Last night Jason picked up a spaghetti squash. I've been wanting spaghetti squash for a while and just never think to pick one up. So even though it might be Taco Tuesday, I had to go with the spaghetti squash. I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do, but I decided to get creative with a Creamy Tofu Tomato Sauce. For the squash, I sauteed it with chickpeas and spinach for Chickpeas & Spinach Spaghetti Squash with Creamy Tofu Tomato Sauce.

Chickpeas & Spinach Spaghetti Squash with
Creamy Tofu Tomato Sauce
Ingredients:
Sauce
1 package firm silken tofu
1 can no-salt diced tomatoes, mostly drained
2 cloves garlic (1 if you're not a big garlic fan)
5-6 sundried tomatoes, rehydrated
1 tbsp capers
To taste: salt, pepper, parsley, oregano

Squash

1 spaghetti squash
1 1/2 cups chickpeas
Baby spinach
To taste: salt, pepper, oregano, parsley

Directions:
For the sauce: combine all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Microwave squash for 5 minutes to soften - this makes it easier to cut. Cut in half and scoop out seeds (save to roast for another recipe). Place insides down on prepared baking sheet. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes, until soft.

With a fork, scrape out the flesh of the squash.

In a large skillet, saute squash, chickpeas, and spices for approximately 10 minutes then add in spinach. Stir in the Creamy Tofu Tomato Sauce and re-season if needed. If sauce is too thick, add in a splash of white wine or unflavored soy or almond milk.
This turned out really well. I didn't use all of the squash, saved about a cup for lunch. So, I ended up with extra sauce. I will say that this sauce would work well with pasta and also for a baked pasta dish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.