Skip to main content

Today I Ran for You - Komen Race for the Cure

This morning I woke up at 5:30 am, though the alarm was set for 6:30. I decided to stay in bed and at least doze for another hour. I got up and started getting myself ready for the race. Pinning on my bib, putting the chip onto my shoe, breaking the flimsy zip tie. I really didn't want to eat much, so I just had half a banana with some peanut butter and tons more water. Then it was off to the race.

The Arkansas Komen race is the 3rd largest in the country. It's so hard to believe that Arkansas has one of the largest. There were over 45,000 women registered. This year the runners actually started 10 minutes early to help relieve some of the crazy pushing surge that happens. Usually as I'm crossing the second bridge, I can look over and see a sea of women crossing the first. It's an awesome sight that is so hard to put into words. Very emotional.
It was about 50 degrees at the start of the race with the sun just coming up. But all the bodies and energy kept me warm. I got off to a speedy start. It's easy to do being caught up in the emotional surge. I hit mile one at 7:15 and maintained that, despite the huge bridge, up to mile 2. I was so excited when I realized I had hit mile 2 at 15:30 (see the thumbs up even).

 
But that's where I lost it. I felt fine really, but that is the start of the super long incline that just kicks my butt. I slowed my pace so I could make it up the hill. Apparently I slowed too much, once again. I won't know my exact time until tomorrow because I missed the clock as I crossed, but it was somewhere around 24:30. Drats.
 

I was so pumped thinking I could hit 24 today. Maybe part of it is the cold, the hills, then just psyching myself out. Not sure. I did really just try to enjoy the race for what it meant though. It's such an awesome experience to run a race with that many women - men are not allowed to run this one. So over 45,000 women coming together for one reason is pretty freaking spectacular if you ask me.

Like I mentioned yesterday, today is a busy one. I think Jason and I are going to go do an easy 2-mile run. I say "think" because he's finishing breakfast as I type this up. He also thinks I've lost my mind wanting to run some more. But we just won't go there ;-)

Run or no run, we'll get cleaned up then head to my niece's party an hour away. Then we'll come right back and go directly to our friends' house to watch the football game. I probably won't see home again until about 6 pm. I have not a clue what we'll even do for dinner - chili sounds appropriate at the moment, but it's supposed to hit 84 so that may seem less appropriate later. So I thought I'd just do today's post mostly about the race rather than game watching or birthday parties. This race is far more important than anything else I will do today.


So to all of my readers who have been affected by breast cancer in some way, today I ran for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.