Skip to main content

And...A Painful Run

Chili Night 
So last night we donned the PJs early and just sat around and relaxed. I made the Chipotle Tempeh Chili while Jason flipped around the TV: between Iron Man Kona and Miracle on 34th Street. Once the chili was done, we opted for a funny, light-hearted move, The Tooth Fairy. I have to say that I was really skeptical, but it was really a cute movie. Bed time came fairly early.

More Shopping and a Painful Run
This morning Sarah and I both started out with some oatmeal, then a trip to Kohl's and back to the mall. We had an expired coupon printed for New York and Company for an extra $40 off. There was a new one that I hadn't printed, but they said we could bring that in with the merchandise to get the difference. Um, for $40, totally worth it.

When we got home, Sarah decided she wanted to try one of my new Cathe DVDs - High Reps. She did the leg workout along with abs and said it was totally kick butt. Shaky legs (her words)! She cleaned up, packed up, and headed out after she was done (which made me very sad of course).

Jason and I headed to the river trails for a run when Sarah stared her workout. It was sunny and about 45 degrees. I was so excited to be down at the river for the run. Probably too excited. At the 2 mile mark, I told Jason I was feeling great and wanted to do the full 5.5 route. I have GOT to retrain my thinking. I felt great at 2 miles, but at 3 miles, the twinge, the slight pull of the IT band. I did the only think I knew to do, stop and stretch then walk for a couple of minutes.

We got going again and all was well, then another twinge, only worse. Yes. I'll totally admit that I pushed harder than I should have. But I stopped again to stretch and walk. I did this 2 more times before finishing the run. I know that I should be proud of myself for recognizing that it's ok to stop running, but at the same time, I'm still struggling with that. I am frustrated with myself, with my body, with everything. But I also know that healing takes time (deep down I know this). I also know that this is a learning curve for me. I mean, cardiovascular, I am spot on. It's recognizing the disconnect between body and cardio. I am also struggling with whether or not I'm pushing too hard (quite possibly), but then recognizing that you do, at some point, have to test your limits. Right? I can't be afraid. I just have to know when to stop.

So, after the run, lots of stretching and rolling for the IT band. Then came icing. Jason and I ended up going to Vino's for pizza and had a long discussion about recovery. About pushing hard enough or too hard and knowing the difference. He is going through physical therapy for a shoulder injury and now I am thinking that I may need to go to PT just to get smart about this type of injury. I know what I've read. I have been following the advice. But maybe I need a set therapy plan.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Just trying to figure this whole thing out. You would think it would be easy, intuitive. But somehow it's the opposite. I promise that I won't continue to harp on the injury. I know so many of you have gone through this and more. I appreciate the advice, however, more than you can know.

Dinner tonight will likely be something light like a salad or soup. I have some baking to do - got an order for 3 bags of doggie treats. I had so much planned today. Did manage the run, more Chipotle Cranberry Relish (jarred thanks to Jason) and next the dog treats. The spaghetti sauce...will have to wait. It takes a full day to make and jar. Spending more time with my sis and then Jason outweighed everything else I had "planned." Sometimes time with family is more important than anything else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.