Skip to main content

Sometimes You Just Gotta Get Started

Gym Day
Today was a gym day for me, though I was really debating a rest day. While not enjoying the elliptical, I've been enjoying getting my back workouts in at the gym where I can do assisted pullups/chinups. I can already feel the strength gains from working on those.

Today was STS Meso 2, Disc 21. I did omit the band work and deadlifts and added in pullovers and low back extensions on the stability ball. I did warm up for 10 minutes on the elliptical first.

Pull Ups Overhand - 12
Chinups Medium Grip - 12
Chinups - 12
Barbell rows - 12,10,8
1-arm Row - 12,10,8,12,10,8 (double dropset)
Pullovers (in lieu of deadlifts) 12,10,8
Low back extension on stability ball - 2x16

After the back workout, I headed back to the elliptical for about 25 minutes. I have been less than enthusiastic about  working out lately and I contribute that to the weather and also not being able to get in the cardio I really would love to be doing. When you aren't doing what you enjoy, it makes working out feel so much more like work. Once I am done, though, I do feel good. It's just getting psyched up to get started.

Oh, and I just realized that somewhere along the way I skipped one of the weeks for chest, triceps, and shoulders (I think it was week 2) meaning that this week I did week 4 at 80% of my 1RM when I should have been at week 3 and 75% for those exercises. Oops. So next week will be a repeat I suppose or I could go back and do the missed workouts at a higher weight. I feel like I've screwed up with this rotation and should just start over.

Salad Day & Holiday Stress
We had some veggies that needed to be used pretty soon. Rather than taking the easy way out with veggie burgers, I got my salad - a Roasted Tofu & Veggies Salad. I marinated some tofu in balsamic vinegar with a bit of honey then baked until browned. I roasted up some kabocha squash, yellow squash, zucchini, bell peppers, and red onions. It's really a simple meal but so tasty and surprisingly filling. 
 

I did have some leftover roasted red bell pepper hummus that I added on the side along with some toasted up homemade whole-grain French bread. I think roasted veggie salads may be my favorite salads (other than grilling the veggies). I love the flavors that roasting or grilling impart and the textures of the various veggies.

So now the stress part: So I have to ask, anyone else behind on Christmas shopping? Please let me know I'm not alone. I have never waited this late before and am starting to get a little stressed when I think about how much I have yet to do. It means traffic, crowds, more traffic, lots of jerks in the stores. I used to be the one who was finished in October. Do you like to shop early or do wait until the last minute?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.