Skip to main content

Two Many Workouts on Tuesday & Two Bean Soup

Tired, Two on Tuesday
Can I just say dreary days suck? They kept saying clearing today....it's been so incredibly foggy though so that means damp. Thankfully it was about 50 degrees, but did I mention damp? So it felt cooler (as in 45 degrees) but not freezing at least.

I was feeling so lazy about working out. I had thought Jason and I might try to get in our training run at lunch. He had other plans apparently that he failed to mention. I ended up going home and getting in shoulders and triceps. I increased weights again (90% of 1RM) and dropped the number of reps so that it was 4 sets of 6 reps.

SS#1
Standing overhead press
Lying triceps extensions

SS#2
Seated lateral raise
Double-arm overhead extension (rather than single-arm as it was hurting my elbow)

SS#3
Seated rear flyes
Double-arm kickbacks

I was very happy with the weights today; I had a strong feeling day oddly enough.

Onto workout #2. Today's half marathon training plan called for 2 miles, then Athletic Intervals of 1:00, 1:30, 2:00 done twice through, then another 2 miles. (Intervals were fast run, then slow job to bring down heart rate.) I brought my gym bag with me to work with clothes for either the gym or for a run outside. I ended up opting for the run outside. Now, the weather forecast had called for clearing in the afternoon and highs in the mid-50's. Um...not so much. The sun never came out. When I headed out for my run at the river trails, it was cloudy, still foggy, and wind chill of 45 degrees.

The first two miles were actually really good. They seemed to just fly by. Then came the intervals. Well, I got 'em done. They were definitely not what I'd call fun, but they went quickly. Then came the turn around and that put me into the head winds. I almost always seem to end my runs into the wind. What gives???? Anyway, all said and done, I got in 6 miles in 53:22. Not super great pace, but not too bad considering the slow jogs in the intervals to lower the heart rate.

Two-Bean Tuesday
So no Taco, Tofu, or Tempeh Tuesday....But how about Two-Bean Tuesday??? Our food stash is starting to thin out. We should have gone to the store on Sunday. That didn't happen, so I got creative with a Crockpot Two-Bean Vegetable Soup that I started at lunch. And after that run, which totally wiped me out, I was one happy girl to have that soup waiting on me.


Crockpot Two-Bean Vegetable Soup
Ingredients:
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1 can no-salt diced tomatoes
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can red beans, rinsed and drained
32 oz no-sodium vegetable broth
3-4 carrots, chopped
1/2 yellow squash, diced
1/2 zucchini, diced
To taste: salt, pepper, cumin, parsley, oregano, basil, red pepper, garlic powder
3 oz. tomato paste

Directions:
Put all ingredients (minus the paste) into crockpot and set to cook on low for 6 hours. Stir in the paste at the very end just to add some richness.
 

Did I mention how happy this soup made me? Not only was it warming after a chilling run, but it was ready and waiting for me. Two days in a row of pain-free meals is spoiling me. Oh and how did the soup taste you ask? It reminded me a bit of a minestrone. I think the addition of some whole-wheat pasta or barley would be fantastic.

And I must give a special shout out to my mom - Happy Birthday Mom- I love you!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.