Skip to main content

Weights, Training Run and Tofu Tuesday

Two on Tuesday
This morning we got another 2-hour work delay because of the weather. Now, I'm not complaining one bit, but in all honesty, they should have shut down yesterday and done a normal workday today. Anyway, this did allow me plenty of time to get up and get my weights done early. Today I went with shoulders and triceps from STS Week 2 of Meso 3. The reps dropped and weights went up by 5% of my 1RM (85%). It's the same workout as last week other than the changes in reps and weights - 4 sets of 7 reps.

SS#1
Shoulder press
Lying triceps extensions

SS#2
Seated lateral raises
1-arm overhead triceps extensions

SS#3
Seated rear delt flyes
Double-arm kickbacks (in lieu of lying cross-body kickbacks, which hurt my elbow)

I had a really strong workout session and was successfully able to increase all weights and complete all reps.

After work, I hit the gym to get in my scheduled run. The half marathon training plan this week is the same as last week. Today called for 2 miles, 5-7 1-minute athletic intervals* (I went with 7) and another 2 miles. However, looking at the chart initially, I missed the additional 2 miles so I ended up only doing a total of 4 miles. But if I had added on the full 2, then it would have been 5.6 miles and I thought that sounded like too much. Anyway, 4 miles on the dreadmill is about as much as I can muster anyway. I couldn't wait to be done!


*Aerobic Intervals (AI): You push the pace. But just a little. Find a tempo that feels somewhere between comfortable and "Hey, I'm workin' a little here." Don't run this too hard. Trying to add too much intensity while you're also increasing mileage spells I-N-J-U-R-Y. When you finish the timed AI, jog very slowly until your breathing returns to normal, then work back into your regular pace. On all other days, just run your assigned miles as you feel.

Tofu Tuesday
Yesterday I had started preparing some tofu that I was going to use for dinner tonight. I made a quick marinade of balsamic and rice vinegars, orange juice, minced onion, salt, pepper, and honey. I usually only have time to let my tofu marinate for a few hours, so I was excited to see how it would turn out letting it marinate over night. It definitely soaked up a lot more of the marinade.

To go with the tofu, I made Smashed Sage Sweet Potatoes and White Beans and sauteed kale. I also made a Balsamic Cashew Cream Sauce for the tofu using the leftover marinade from the tofu.

Smashed Sage Sweet Potatoes and White Beans
Ingredients:
1 medium sweet potato, small dice
1 cup white beans
1/8 cup white onion, minced
2-3 tbsp minced garlic
Fresh sage, minced (to taste)
Almond or soy milk, to desired consistency
To taste: salt and pepper

Directions:
Microwave the sweet potatoes until soft (approximately 7 minutes).

In large sauce pan, saute onions and garlic for a couple of minutes then add in beans. Allow to cook until beans soften then add in the sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Start to smash the mixture and add in the milk to desired consistency. Stir in the sage and allow to cook a couple of minutes.

Balsamic Cashew Cream Sauce
Ingredients:
1/2 cup cashews, grind in coffee grinder
Balsamic vinegar
Rice wine vinegar
Minced onion
Salt
Pepper
Honey
Splash of apple cider vinegar (this was not in the original tofu marinade)
Water, just to cover ground cashews

Directions:
In blender, puree all ingredients until completely smooth. Refrigerate prior to use.

 
 
This turned out really well. I was really happy with the potato/bean mash, though I probably added a bit too much sage. I'm not used to cooking with it to be honest. The next time I do the cashew cream, I would like to add in chives, which I was out of tonight.

Recipe note: Yesterday I forgot to include that I also used 1-2 tbsp red curry paste in the Creamy Curried Kabocha and Pumpkin Soup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.