Skip to main content

Vegan Chorizo & Black Bean Chili Perfect After 8-Mile Treadmill Run

Crazy Weather & Running Plan
Well at least today was a bright and sunny day. We've got snow in our forecast (again) tonight and all day tomorrow. They are predicting anywhere from 6-8 inches here. Seriously? I swear I live in the south. The average temps right now are supposed to be in the low 50's (I think that's around 10°C). Today was in the 30's (below 0 C) and tomorrow low 20's. Alison, the Celsius is for you ;-)

If it hadn't been so windy out, I might have tried to take my training run outdoors. It was another long one...I swear the person who put together this half marathon training plan was on crack.

Today called for 3 miles, 2x2:00 AI*, 2x2:30 AI, 1x3:00 AI, 6 pickups, 2 miles. I'm tired just typing that out. My legs muscles even twitched. Thank goodness I updated my playlist! After the intervals were done, I was right at 6.25 miles. So I just did another 1.75 miles for an even 8.

This was a puke-worthy workout, and I was pooped! What's worse is that my running socks were all dirty, so I had to wear just regular workout socks. They're thicker, quite comfy, but not comfy for 8 miles. Toes are a bit sensitive feeling now.

When I got home I spent about 30 minutes stretching and rolling out on my TriggerPoint Therapy Kit before getting cleaned up.

*Aerobic Intervals (AI): You push the pace. But just a little. Find a tempo that feels somewhere between comfortable and "Hey, I'm workin' a little here." Don't run this too hard. Trying to add too much intensity while you're also increasing mileage spells I-N-J-U-R-Y. When you finish the timed AI, jog very slowly until your breathing returns to normal, then work back into your regular pace. On all other days, just run your assigned miles as you feel. 

More Crockpot Cooking
During lunch I tossed together another crockpot creation: Vegan Crockpot Chorizo and Black Bean Chili. It's very similar to a Vegan Chorizo and Black Bean Soup I made recently, only thicker, no jalapenos, and no corn. I was going to call it a stew, but it seemed more like a chili. I guess I should look up the definition of what makes something a chili.

I had been thinking about trying to come up with a lentil bolognese sauce that I could do in the crockpot, but was worried about not enough liquid and it burning up, so I decided I'll test that one out when I'm at home and can watch it.

My mind was racing with ideas of something that would be warm and comforting tonight, and that would either be super fast to make, or that I could do in the crockpot as I knew that a) it was going to be cold and b) that run was going to mean a later evening for me.

Vegan Chorizo and Black Bean Chili
Ingredients:
1 package vegan soy chorizo
1 red bell pepper, diced (or half red and half green)
1/2 white onion, diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups cooked black beans
17-20 oz no-sodium vegetable broth (approximate, just enough to cover the ingredients)
1 can no-salt diced tomatoes (with liquid)
To taste: salt, pepper, red pepper, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, paprika

Directions:
In non-stick skillet, brown the chorizo and add in the onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Saute until vegetables begin to soften.

Add all ingredients into crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours then cook 1 hour on high with lid removed to allow chili to thicken.

 

While I was stretching and getting cleaned up, Jason made half a batch of my Vegan Chipotle Cornbread. This totally hit the spot tonight. I am so in love with my crockpt if you haven't gathered that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.