Skip to main content

Running Fail & Dinner Win with Orange Infused Vegetable Slaw

Letters are Fun
So glad you all seemed to enjoy the Letters to Self yesterday. I really enjoyed reading yours as well. It was kind of fun writing those out, may need to do that more often.

Last night was low-key after the migraine. We did meet up with friends for a pre-wedding happy hour. She's getting married on Saturday and there aren't any bachelorette plans. So one of our mutual friends wanted to just gather a few people to have one last happy hour with Gwynne before the big day. I wasn't able to stay long as I wasn't feeling super fantastic. But it was still nice to show up for her at least.

Jason made some quick fajitas for us, and then I was in bed snoozing by 9. I actually only woke up only once during the night. For me, that's the equivalent of sleeping through the night. Guess I needed the rest!

Hot Running
I had really and truly wanted to get up early this morning for a run for two reasons. One, it's supposed to be in the low 80's this afternoon. Not sure I'm up for those temps just yet. And two, Tiffany has been posting gorgeous early morning running pictures.

While I don't enjoy morning workouts, there is something so calming about a morning run with the world just waking up around you. Sleep trumped the run though, and that's ok. I needed it.

In the end, I went out for a hot, windy run after work. I knew it was warm, so I went into the run without a set distance in mind. It was more about going with the flow of how I felt. It was windier that I would have preferred, but when it's warm out, the wind can be a very welcomed thing.

While I was totally prepared for the fact that it was going to be a tougher run because I'm not acclimated to the heat, I was not prepared for how shitastic it really was going to be. This was probably one of the worst runs I can recall. Just BAD. My legs felt heavy from the start. It was hot, sticky, even the wind was hot. The last 1 mile I ended up doing as intervals. I eeked out just a little over 4 total.

I'm trying not to be furious with myself over the run. I knew it wasn't going to be a piece of cake, but man oh man. When you have runs that bad it makes you question why you run period. Frankly, the last few runs have been less than stellar. I mostly just enjoyed the being outside aspect. I know running has it's ups and downs, so I'm going to try to not dwell on this run and just look forward to a future run...a better run.

Orange Inspired
At lunch Jason and I were discussing dinner ideas. He kept saying he wanted some sort of slaw over cutlets. It didn't matter what other suggestions that came up, he turned those into some sort of slaw over cutlets. So, I made an Orange Infused Vegetable Slaw to go over homemade Seitan Cutlets.

Orange Infused Vegetable Slaw
Ingredients:
1/2 small yellow squash, small dice
1/2 small zucchini, small dice
1/8 cup minced red onion (shallot would be preferable)
1/4 large portobello, small dice
OJ (not quite half a cup)
Balsamic vinegar (heavy splashes)
Caribbean Hot Sauce (or use hot sauce of your liking and add in garlic)
Honey or agave nectar (to desired sweetness)
To taste: salt, black pepper

Directions:
In medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients and spices. Toss in veggies and mix well. Refrigerate for about 4 hours.

I made some quinoa as well and seasoned with some of the marinade for the slaw. I added in a little extra OJ and some fresh parsley at the end. For the Seitan Cutlets, I dredged them in a small amount of panko seasoned with garlic powder, basil, oregano and then baked it until crisp.
 

This actually turned out way better than I had expected. If you have oranges, zest would definitely be an ideal addition. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.