Skip to main content

2 on Tuesday & Tomato Basil Seitan Spagetti Squash

Two on Tuesday
This morning I manage to get in an early morning run. Even better? It was with Jason. I really have missed running with him. Even if we don't talk much, I enjoy just running together. The humidity was much lower this morning, so it actually felt quite nice out.

I got just under 6 miles and it felt great. If I hadn't needed to get myself home and cleaned up for work, I think I would have gone on for another mile (thought Jason may have objected to that one).

During lunch, I was able to get in a quick workout for biceps, triceps and abs. I went with supersets (as they're great for time crunched workouts):

SS#1 - 3x6
Dumbbell curls
Double-arm overhead triceps extension

SS#2 3x8
Incline curls
Lying triceps extensions

SS#3 - 2x8, 1xTF
Hammer curls
Kickbacks

I finished off with abs from Cathe's High Reps DVD. It was actually a pretty good workout; I felt fairly strong today. Love it when that happens.

Summer Flavors
I had thought about making Grilled Veggie Quesadillas for dinner tonight, but Jason has been eating up the leftover Colorful Black Beans and Rice and the Black Beans and Corn Salsa for lunch. So, he requested no black beans and no Mexican tonight.

Veggie burgers would have been my second choice if I had any on hand, but I'm out. Guess that needs to go on a to-do list this weekend. I did have a spaghetti squash that I recently picked up, so I thought I'd use that as a starting point. We also had some fresh tomatoes and a ton of fresh basil. So, I ended up coming up with Tomato Basil Seitan Spaghetti Squash.

Tomato Basil Seitan Spaghetti Squash
Ingredients:
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp minced garlic (more or less depending on preference)
White wine or vegetable broth (approximately 3/4 cup)
2-3 tbsp tomato paste
1-2 tbsp capers (depending on taste preference)
Homemade seitan (or your favorite brand), diced
To taste: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
Spaghetti squash, baked and shredded
2 tomatoes, diced
1 10z package frozen spinach, thawed and drained (or fresh)
Fresh basil and oregano to taste 
Nutritional yeast flakes (optional, or you can use Parmesan)


Directions:
In large, non-stick skillet, saute onion and garlic until onion begins to soften (approximately 3-4 minutes). Add in white wine or vegetable broth and tomato paste, stirring until paste is dissolved into the liquid. 

Add in remaining ingredients up to the herbs and allow to simmer until sauce begins to thicken and squash is heated through. Add additional liquid if needed. Stir in the herbs and remove from heat. Top with nutritional yeast flakes or Parmesan.
 
I served with some of my homemade French bread that I keep made and frozen. I think it's really hard to go wrong with the flavor combination of tomatoes and basil. Such a summery, light flavor combination in my opinion.

I'll admit that the spinach was a last minute addition. I thought it looked too red, just missing color. I loved using the spaghetti squash with this one, it just felt lighter. It'd be great cold as well. I also think chickpeas or cannellini beans would work really well in this dish as a replacement for seitan.

Daily To-Enjoy List
Yesterday I wasn't able to knock off everything from my to-enjoy list as I had hoped. However, I was still able to enjoy spin, grilling, and some gardening. Jason ended up working late, so I ate alone, which meant we didn't get to eat at the table sans TV nor did we get to watch a movie. So, those items remain on today's list:
  • Morning run
  • Eating at the kitchen table (aka no tv)
  • Watching a movie with Jason (after dinner)
Are you still making a to-enjoy list? Do you find it helpful?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.