Skip to main content

All Good: Workouts, Work, Dinner - Balsamic Basil Tofu

Good Workout - Biceps & Spin
So I'm a big fat liar. Just putting that out there. Today I decided to do biceps before spin. Yes, there's the lie. Yesterday I said no spin for today. Of course, I was being slightly irrational because my legs felt like lead weights. Never listen to someone when they make declarations in moments of weakness - just sayin'.

I knew that I would have time to get there before class and hit at least one muscle group. I've been wanting to add drop sets back into my workouts for a week or so. It makes for a quick workout, but an effective one.

I warmed up on the elliptical for 5 minutes just to get the blood pumping, then hit the weights.

Hammer curls - 3x10
Dumbbell curls - 6,8,10 (decreasing weight with each increase in rep and with no rest between)
Cross-body curls - 2x8

It was great working only one muscle group to be honest. Totally focused on just the biceps and felt fairly strong even through the drop sets (which are always deceiving). I then did spin class, which was a much more fun class than on Monday. First off, no low-ceiling/hovers, lots more laughter, a great stress reliever.

Good Work Day
Today was a, dare I say, fun day at work. I don't really talk about my job and what I do often. I think my work is separate from my personal life. But, this is kind of exciting and may appeal to some of you (moms or perhaps aunts). I've been really working hard at trying to position myself more in a social media role in my department.

We've launched a Facebook page and Twitter profile for one initiative within the company. So I've been getting my feet wet for about a year and a half. They were finally convinced that we should move forward with another social media initiative. This one is for moms (totally up my alley right LOL) - it's basically meant to be an online network/community for moms to share with other moms as well as a resource base of informative health and wellness articles and information. Not selling anything, just acting as a resource.

Since I know many of you are moms, it would mean a great deal if you could check out our new Facebook page - Mother Hood. Of course, I'd be super happy if you "liked" us, but would also be interested in feedback as well. What are some of your interests, favorite sites, money saving tips, favorite healthy recipes...anything. We really want to focus on health and wellness, and this also includes workout tips for moms with busy schedules. Again, zero pressure, no sales, nada. Just a resource community.

Good Dinner
I had planned on making a Grilled Tofu & Veggie Salad for dinner tonight. However, we sort of blew through the lettuce so that kind of nixed that plan. I decided to move to plan B which involved strawberry salsa, but that started getting overly complicated (who me? complicated?). So I went to plan C - Balsamic Basil Tofu with Garlicky Tomato Barley. That's not complicated at all either is it?


Balsamic Basil Tofu with Garlicky Tomato Barley
Ingredients:
Tofu:
1 package extra firm tofu, frozen, thawed and drained
Fresh basil - maybe 1/4 cup
Balsamic vinegar - approximately 1/4 cup
Very small drizzle extra-virgin olive oil (maybe tsp)
To taste: salt, pepper, agave nectar (optional)


Barley:
1 cup barley*
3 cups water
1 container (12 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
3 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup white wine (may need just a little more if sauce is too dry)
To taste: salt, black pepper, red chili pepper flakes, nutritional yeast flakes
Fresh spinach (however much you like)
Fresh basil - finely chopped (to taste)


Directions:
Blend together the balsamic vinegar, basil, salt, pepper, and agave until smooth. Marinate the tofu in balsamic mixture for at least 30 minutes. Then bake at 400 degrees until firm, flipping once.

Once tofu is done, cube and set aside.

Meanwhile, prepare the barley per package directions (this will take approximately 50 minutes).

In a large, non-stick skillet saute the tomatoes, garlic, and just a pinch of salt on low. Once the tomatoes begin to soften, light mash with a fork to release the juices (watch for splattering). Add in the pepper, chili flakes, prepared barley, and spinach. Cook until spinach begins to wilt then toss in the tofu. Re-season if needed.

*Note - you may not use all the barley depending on your preferences for more barley vs more sauce. This made about 3 cups and I only used 2. Barley does freeze well if you have leftovers.
 

This really turned out very well, especially for a plan C recipe. The barley would actually be a really good side as well.

Daily To-Enjoy List
  • Noon sweatfest
  • Movie with hubby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.