Skip to main content

No 2-a-Day Tuesday but BBQ Tempeh & Portobello Sandwiches

No Two on Tuesday
5 am came way too fast for me this morning. Jason and I were planning on what has become our typical Tuesday morning run. There was a slight chance of rain, and I was actually hoping to be woken by thunder perhaps so I could call off the run without guilt.

Alas, no rain. But thanks to the chance, the humidity was insane. It was already 85 degrees when we hit the pavement at 5:45. There was no breeze to help out with the humidity factor either. I absolutely could not stop sweating. I looked like I had just stepped out of the pool within the first 5 minutes of the run.

My legs were insanely heavy. At 2 miles in, I really thought I might cut it short for a 4-miler. But I kept on going and things seemed to click for a while. It wasn't easy peasy mind you, but I was bopping right along totally zoning out. Then my hips started to get tighter and tighter. The last half mile was fairly brutal as the wind decided to kick up. Oh now we get wind. It felt good on the skin, but not for the resistance factor.

I ended up hitting 6 miles though. I am very pleased with that. It feels good to have 6 as a base run. It gives me hope that I may be able to throw my hat into the ring for another half marathon soon (yes Jess & Jo, you know what I'm talking about). Tomorrow may end up having to be a rest day or a weights only day for me. Not sure I can manage anything that requires the use of my legs other than walking. Let's just say no 2 on Tuesday for me this week.

Happy Surprise
I love getting great mail. It just makes my day. Whether it's something I've ordered (hello new Old Navy outfit that arrived yesterday), new running shoes, a blog giveaway win, or just a nice card, I love getting personal mail.

So when I found this awesome package waiting for me on the porch at lunch, I was ecstatic. Totally made up for the fact that the day had turned dark and rainy. I won this fantastic box of goodies from the fabulous Amy at Healthy, Hungry, Happy.
It's filled with many gluten-free and vegan treats that I love:
  • 2 Apple Cinnamon Pure Organic bars-Gluten free, vegan, organic, raw
  • 2 Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Lara Bars-Gluten free, kosher
  • 2 Cranberry Almond Kind Bars- Vegan, gluten free
  • 2 Barney Butter Almond Butter packs- Gluten free, peanut free
  • 3 Raw Revolution 100 mini bars- Vegan, raw, organic
Oh and if you want to get your hands on this stash, check out her store. Thanks again Amy!

BBQ Dinner
On Sunday I did myself a big favor and really took stock of what we had on the fridge and pantry and tried to make out a meal plan for the week. On tonight's menu: BBQ Tempeh and Portobello Sandwiches with bake sweet potato fries (of course).

BBQ Tempeh and Portobello Sandwiches
Ingredients:
1 package tempeh
1 large portobello, thinly sliced
1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
1/2 green or red bell pepper, thinly sliced
To taste: salt, pepper, minced garlic (go light because you will use BBQ sauce too)
BBQ Sauce - your favorite brand and to desired amount
1/2 cup water (approximate)
Sandwich bread/buns/thins of your choice

Directions:
In large, non-stick skillet, crumble the tempeh into pan and saute along with the onions, peppers, and minced garlic for about 5 minutes. Add in the portobello mushrooms, spices, water and BBQ sauce. Cover and allow to cook until mushrooms begin to soften. Uncover to let thicken if needed.

I think I may becoming a bit addicted to BBQ sauce. And while BBQ sauce and portobellos might not sound like a winning combo, I assure you, it really is quite tasty. I will warn you, you will need extra napkins and a for for this dinner. And do you spell it portobello or portabella? Just curious, I see it both ways.

Daily To-Enjoy List
  • Morning run with the hubby
  • Not having to think about dinner (planned out the meals on Sunday)
  • Watching a movie (still undecided) 
  • Extra time in the kitchen to get food started for Saturday pool party

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.