Skip to main content

Running, Legs & Easy Indian Dinner Courtesy of Patak's

Running & Legs
Well today we finally have sunshine and no gusting winds. I was beginning to think that would never happen. But, I decided to hit the treadmill and get in legs today rather than head outside for a run.

I must admit something first. I don't know why, but treadmill running makes me feel like less of a runner. I know that probably sounds silly. I mean, I'm on the darn thing running. I'm usually doing intervals trying to increase my speed. But, I don't enjoy it at all. I've never ever had that runner's high, awesome, love the world feeling from a treadmill run.

It just doesn't feel the same as the wind on your face, the sun on your skin, the feel of the pavement under your feet. There's just something so crucial to the enjoyment factor I usually equate to running that is just flat out missing.

But, I really need to work on speed, and the treadmill is a great way to get that done. I also really wanted to work quads today and then major focus on hamstrings on Sunday. So, this worked out best for the workout I was going for.

I started with 1 mile at a 9:13 min/mile pace then did 1 mile at what I had wanted my half race pace to be: 8:34 min/mile. I recovered for about 30 seconds then jumped into 2 min intervals that I repeated 3 times: 8:34 min/mile with recovery at a 9:22 min/mile. I finished off the last 1/2 mile (to round out to 4 miles) at 9:06. Not fun, but it did fly by thank goodness.

After the run, I hit the legs. I know that lifters are cringing right now. I almost lifted first (which is always what I recommend), but actually am happy with the way it played out. My legs/muscles were quite obviously warmed up nicely. I actually felt like I could have lifted heavier than I did surprisingly enough. Maybe because I was sooooo warmed up? Anyway, here's how it went down:

Barbell squats - warmup set of 10

SS#1 - 3x8
Barbell squats
Plie squats

SS#2
3 point lunge (w/ single weight held in both hands) - 3x6
Calf raises - 3x15

1 set of alternating squats with front kick using dumbbells - 16 total (ouch)

I did some ab work on the stability ball and using weights before stretching and heading out.

Way Easy Wednesday
As I mentioned yesterday, Jason had gone to Target recently. He made the mistake of going hungry, however, so that meant coming home with various new sauces. He thought he was picking up a curry paste, but it ended up being Patak's Tikka Masala Curry sauce instead (unfortunately not vegan though).

I went ahead and made some brown rice last night while making the chili because I knew it would make for an incredibly easy dinner tonight using the sauce along with homemade seitan I had on hand.

I simply sauteed red onions, bell peppers, and carrots until soft. I stirred in the seitan and allowed that to cook for about 3-4 minutes before stirring in the sauce and adding in some frozen peas. I just let that simmer until the sauce was warm. I reheated the rice and served.
 

I think the sauce had good flavor. It was fairly mild for my tastes, but not bad. I certainly made for an easy dinner. I'd love to try my hand at making a vegan version of this sauce now.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Running (though indoors)
  • Easy dinner
  • Sunshine (and no gusting winds)
  • Extra time to re-paint my nails
  • Watching movie on couch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.