Skip to main content

Thanksgivings One and Two

Today I decided to take as a rest day. I didn't want to feel rushed trying to get in a workout before we had to head out of town (our hometown an hour away). At least that made the morning relaxing. Jason finished cutting up the green beans, onions, and red bell peppers for a dish for my dad's house. Then we packed up the rolls I had also made and headed out.

First stop was Jason's parents' house for their family meal. We got there a little early so we could visit before having to eat then rush out. I didn't eat there, but Jason had a plate. He played a little baseball with the younger kids for a short bit before we had to hit the road to head to my dad's house.

They used to live within 5 minutes of one another. Now dad lives across town so it was a 30 minute drive. We got there a little bit early - actually beat my sister there for a change. Jason was a trooper and played with my niece and nephew for a short bit. The weather sucked - supposed to have been in the 60's and sunny. Not only was it another terribly gray day, it was barely 50 degrees out.

Anyway, the kids tried their hand at badminton. C never quite got the hang of it, but he sure tried his little heart out. A was much better, but got frustrated quickly and gave up.
 

Even my sis tried her hand at it. Apparently her years on the tennis team did not carry over post-high school.

The kids ended up roping Jason into helping them build a special tower. They were so proud because it was taller than them (that's not all that all mind you).

Even managed to get my dad to smile in a picture with my sister and me (I look like I'm waiting for something bad to happen, not sure what's going on there).
 And got a good picture of my sis with A (who was actually smiling).

Dinner was the traditional spaghetti and meatballs. Dad really does good. He made one pot of sauce without meatballs for me, one pot with GF meatballs for my sister, then one regular pot for everyone else. I call that love!

For me, the day was not so much about the food as it was about time with family. Thanksgiving festivities will continue tomorrow as my mom, her husband, sister and her kids all come over to my house. I am so excited to be cooking the meal for a change (meaning what I want).

Mom will be bringing turkey, I won't begrudge that too much. But the rest is up to me. I look forward to sharing the recipes with you along with more pictures. I'm definitely looking forward to another day with family.

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving Day as well whether it was with family or friends or just you and your significant other. 

Daily To-Enjoy List:
Time with family

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.