Skip to main content

Interval Run, Legs & Gardein Inspired Dinner

Intervals & Legs
Today was sort of a weird one. Tomorrow we have a huge annual holiday meeting. My division typically helps put together a funny skit for the meeting. This morning I was asked to help out with something and ended up having to go to the first rehearsal where they were going to just block it out. So that took up an hour and a half. Next we had our division potluck. Then right after that I had a meeting. So much back-to-back, definitely no time to take a break and hit the pavement or gym like I'm used to doing midday.

But, the day went super quickly at least. The skies were, again, threatening rain. I kept checking the radar hoping it might hold off long enough for a run outside. It of course didn't rain the whole time I was at work. The minute I walked out the door? Yep, rain. Good thing I had gone ahead and decided on the gym after checking the radar one last time.

I went with 4 miles on the treadmill then legs (focusing on quads). I started with 2 miles at an easy pace of 9:22 min mile at a 1% incline before moving into some intervals.

I did 6 x 1 minute intervals of 8:27 and 9:31 min miles. Then I finished out doing .4 at 9:13, .1 at 8:57 and .1 at 8:34 to give me an even 4 miles.

I have to say, I really and truly think that the speed is totally off on the treadmills though. For example, I was doing 2 miles at 9:22. So technically I should have hit 2 miles in 18:44 right? Please correct me if my math is off. But, that's what I think. However, it was really 18 mins, which would be a 9 min mile. Anyone else think treads are off? Or is it just my gym's equipment?

Anyway, after the run, I went for legs. I opted to do 2 supersets of 3x8 with a plyo exercise in between.

Barbell squats - warmup set of 10

SS#1
Barbell squats
Plie Squats

Squat jumps - 16

SS#2
Static lunge
Calf raises - 15 reps

Alternating split lunges - 16

I did some ab work with a medicine ball then called it done. I went home and stretched and rolled out on the Triggerpoint Therapy kit while watching the last half of the Ellen show. Man I wish that came on at a different time. I forget how funny she can be.

Lazy Dinner
I really wasn't terribly excited to be cooking tonight. I need to figure out how to train the pupsters to clean the house and make dinner for us. What I really wanted to do was paint my nails and try to work on holiday cards - yes, terribly behind this year. I also need to start wrapping presents. Then there's that pesky pile of laundry waiting on me.

But motivation level is fairly nil. I'm going to just go ahead and blame it on our crappy weather. I have forgotten what sunshine looks like. I think that's excuse enough to feel lazy. Don't you agree?

Well, dinner had to be made. I went with what I knew Jason would suggest if I had asked him. He's definitely a potato guy. He specifically asked that I pick up either new or fingerling potatoes the last time I went to the store. So, we had fingerlings on hand along with some asparagus (which need to be used up).

I just roasted the potatoes seasoned with small amount of olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic, parsley, and nutritional yeast flakes. Since the oven was on, I roasted the asparagus as well and seasoned with a lemon pepper spice blend.

I had some Gardein Herbed Dijon Breasts on hand (picked up because they were on sale and I had a coupon so double score). They do come with a sauce, but I sort of added a little bit more to it - a tbsp of stone ground mustard, red pepper flakes, and some balsamic vinegar. There sauce is ok, but a little bland for me.
 

And that was that. Simple, easy, tasty.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Weights (starting to enjoy legs and maybe b/c I'm breaking them up into 2 sessions)
  • Easy dinner
  • Time to paint my nails

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.