Skip to main content

Last Run for the Year & Continuing to Live Fuller

Today was another unusually warm day here. No complaints from this girl though. Today was our weekly long run. I had 10 miles on my training plan. I really enjoy the idea of finishing out the last day of the year with a run. In fact, I looked back at my 12/31/11 post and realized I did the same. Oddly, it was a very warm day last year as well, only stormy and my run was about half the distance.

I feel like so much has changed for me in terms of running over the course of a year. I truly feel like a runner. I itch to get out and run now. I feel very empowered by my running now rather than nervous, fearful or even cautious. I've learned to embrace the fact that some days it's going to be tough. And that's ok. It's not failure, it's just like life really.

While everyone is making lists and resolutions today, I am going to do the same that I said I'd do last year - live fuller. I want to embrace each day more, get over fears, take more chances....live. I feel that I did pretty well with that this year. I got over fears of long distance running and did not one but two half marathons. I sucked it up with my flying fear and traveled to Seattle then spent almost two weeks in Chicago.

So, this year, I plan to live fuller again and continue with my Daily To-Enjoy Lists. Sometimes those little things each day are what help you get through the tougher times. I am going to try to set aside fears of the unknown and take more risks with a few things that I have wanted to do for far too long, but have let fear and uncertainty hold me back. You never know until you try right? So more trying for me this year.

Speaking of trying...this morning started off as a trying one. Maddie started randomly barking and we realized water was leaking all the way from the attic downstairs. What is in the attic that would leak? The water heater. Yep, water heater is officially out. We spent about an hour trying to clean up the mess and empty the tank before we could ever head out for our run.

The sucky part (not that the water heater situation wasn't sucky) was that I was supposed to be at my friend's house around 2 to help her prep food for the party tonight. Anyway, we finally headed out for our run close to 2 hours late. It was gorgeous, 64 degrees (hello shorts and short sleeve-top). The trying part here was the insane gusting winds.

At a few points it was almost laughable because they were so strong. You either laughed or cried one I suppose. But overall, it was a really good 10-mile run with Jason. Good company, gorgeous day, not much to complain about there I don't suppose.

After the run, we both stretched for a good amount of time. I basically just inhaled a very late lunch and am about to walk out the door to finally go help my friend out. I am very much looking forward to this evening. My sister will be here as well. It'll be the first New Year's Eve we've spent together in more years than I can even recall.

I wish you all a very happy, very safe New Year's Eve!

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Run with hubby
  • Sunshine
  • Warm weather
  • Sister time
  • Time with friends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.