Skip to main content

Spin & Italian "Beef" Sandwiches

Sad Day, But Spin Helped
This morning I felt like I had been run over. I didn't sleep well at all last night. It didn't help that just after midnight lightening hit so hard that I bolted upright then the thunder that immediately followed literally rattled the house. I seriously thought there had been a terrible accident outside and someone hit the house.

The electricity went out briefly and it took a while to calm back down and fall back asleep. Then I was up at 2, 5, and 6. Yawn. At least the storms did stop and it wasn't raining on my walk into the office - just incredibly foggy.

It was sort of a down day for me. Fifteen years ago a dear friend's life was cut short. She was an incredible person, so full of life and love. I won't go into details, you can search her name or see this newscast from today if you really want to know. Juli Busken was a dancer at OU and had just graduated. She was abducted and eventually killed in the early morning hours of December 20, 1996. Thankfully her killer is indeed behind bars on death row.

I try not to dwell on what happened that morning, but rather remember who she was. She really was one-of-a-kind. I am lucky enough to have her parents in my life still. So in a way, I have part of her of course. They are amazing and have always treated me like one of their own. I practically grew up in their house so they didn't have much choice ;-)

So, needless to say, my head wasn't totally in the game during spin today. It felt so much harder than I think it should have. But, I will say, it was a nice escape. Getting in a good sweatfest and being surrounded by others working hard helps change your focus and can give you a nice energy and mood boost when you might need it the most.

Letting Jason Cook
I really wasn't in the mood for cooking this evening. I really wanted something on the lighter side. Jason wanted "comfort" food. His first dish idea was a creamy mushroom pasta that I've made before. That just sounded incredibly heavy to me.

We had kale and butternut squash, so that's what I was sort of thinking (again). I also thought about using portobellos in a bean burger for a true portobello burger. But, I was ready to compromise if it meant I didn't have to cook. I can always revisit the burger later.

We ended up going with Italian "Beef" Sandwiches and baked sweet potato fries. The only difference from this recipe is that we used vegetable stock rather than the reserved liquid from the homemade seitan.
 

The sandwiches were topped with Daiya Mozzarella, served open-faced, and nice and messy. Definitely a sandwich to eat with a fork. I gave up trying to make them pretty a long time ago.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Spin class
  • Not cooking

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.