Skip to main content

A Serious Note on Fun Facts Friday

On a Serious Note
Wow, I wasn't sure this week was going to end. And from what I gather, it's felt that way for a lot of people. Let's just all blame it on the full moon we had earlier in the week. Agreed?

Actually, I can't totally blame it on that. This might be a little too serious for Friday, but it's something I've been thinking about this week, mostly because it's what I've been dealing with - anxiety and depression.

I try to keep my blog happy, but real. So the reality is that I've battled depression and anxiety most of my life. I've been on this med and that med and realized that I don't want to be on any meds. I don't like how they can make me feel (often too numb). They never really seemed to work for me and then there were side effects like 3 weeks of vertigo and additional medication to combat that just trying to get off of one of the meds.

Anyway, I feel like I've learned to regulate my moods fairly well. When meds did work, I learned to better grasp what "normal" felt like. So then I could recognize when I was being irrational or sliding down the slippery depression slope.

I also had another form of therapy to rely on - Exercise. From ballet to weight lifting and running, it's my escape time. I don't have to think about everything. Lately, running outside often feels like an absolute life saver. Like if I can't get out there and do it, then a meltdown is going to happen, period.

This week was one of those really bad weeks for me. Do I really have to open up and tell you all? No. But, yes. Maybe some of you go through periods of anxiety and/or depression as well. I think it's something that should be discussed more openly and not seen as something negative. The more open I am about it, the more I recognize what is happening, the better I can deal with it personally. I hope that is the same for others. It's already tough, no need to go at it alone.

I was thinking about how this week played out for me. Major lows (insert crying temper tantrum fits), lots of anxiety (because I couldn't control anything) and then it evened out and I realized that reflecting on how I was feeling makes me appreciate being happy. Does that make any sense? When you're so down and you know you shouldn't be, you feel pretty helpless. So when you're happy again, you really appreciate what that feels like.

I think one thing that has helped me is to really try to always focus on something positive, no matter how hard it might be to do and even if I semi-don't believe it at the time. I know that if I work at it, if I fight for it, don't get bogged down, then I'll come out on the other side. I'll equate it to hiking a mountain. It starts off sort of easy at the base, then you hit some bumps and boulders, but once you get to the top and are able to look out over the expanse below you, you realize that it's all worth it if you accept that there will always be obstacles.

Too much for Friday? Then How about a little Fun Facts Friday silliness:


Fun (hello, it is Friday)
Rest (much-needed rest day)
Ice (what I plan on doing to my heel tonight)
Delayed (as in takes too long to get here)
Achy (yep, sore from yesterday's workout)
Yay


And some totally random facts:

I put in my right earring first.
I put on my left shoe first.
I take off my right shoe first.
I double/triple check that the alarm is on.
I sometimes still worry about monsters under the bed.
When I cry, you will know I cried for hours afterwards - red, puffy, huge nose.
I can't cry in the shower or in the bath.
I crave Blue Moon with orange wedge after long runs.
I'm ambidextrous (which is why I can easily paint my own nails).

Ok, your turn - something silly to make me smile please ;-)

Daily To-Enjoy List:
Rest day
The fact that it's Friday
Sunshine
Happy hour with friends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.