Skip to main content

Legs, PTand Spicy White Chili

Leg Day
Oh man, another sluggish feeling day. Today I'll blame the weather though. We have a major storm front moving in, so it's a gloomy day. Luckily the storms held off until the evening. So, no swimming over to the gym ;-)

Once I got started, I picked up steam pretty quickly. I did about 20 minutes on the elliptical as a warm up before moving on to legs. I went with supersets doing mostly 3x8 unless noted.

Warmup set of barbell squats - 12 reps

SS#1
Barbell squats
Stiff-legged deadlifts

SS#2
Narrow stance dumbbell squats
Hamstring roll-ins on ball - 12 reps

SS#3
Bulgarian split squat with dumbbells
Calf raises - 12 reps

SS#4
Firewalkers (4 steps right, 4 steps left = 1 rep) - 6 reps
Plie squats with low-end pulse, single dumbbell held in both hands

After the workout, it was back to work. The only downfall about doing legs midday is the sitting after. I had to remind myself to get up and move around frequently so my legs wouldn't be dead weights. But, at least I had an energy boosting workout to get me through an afternoon meeting.

PT Fun
After work, it was PT again. Not really anything to write home about. She is still trying to work out the heel spur using the Graston Technique. Basically using a metal torture devices to "chisel" at the area. I say chisel, she's not hammering at my heel, but rubbing is a huge understatement and totally not an accurate account of the pain inflected.

She is also continuing to do an acetic acid treatment and then using the kinesio tape to wrap my foot. I did get some sports tape and the directions on how to tape for plantar fasciitis on my own. I will go ahead and tell you, "Don't get the Target brand." It doesn't stick.

Today she also worked on my super tight piriformis. It's been hurting, but not bad enough that it's affecting the sciatic nerve like it was. It was pretty knotted up despite all the rolling I do. She called it, "angry."

Not only do I roll out with my TriggerPoint Therapy kit, I do have a strict stretching routine as well as rolling out the foot on a golf ball, plus some strengthening work (like using toes to pull a towel to me). So, all of this equals relief? Not yet unfortunately. I will have a couple of better days right after PT, but then it's almost like the day I had the blow out from running.

Oh, I did get a "heel seat" from a company called Heel That Pain. It came recommended from another blogger dealing with the same issues. Initially, it does offer a lot of pain relief. The way it is designed, it supports the fascia and helps reduce the pressure on the heel. But, it's not a miracle worker. However, I do highly recommend it, and I recommend their site. It is full of very useful information that includes info on PF, heel spurs, stretching, and even how to tape your foot.

So, slow slow going. I'm not patient either, so I have lots of mini-meltdowns. But I'm really trying my best to not give up.

Chili Weather (sort of)
On a happier note, I went ahead and went for the chili tonight. Chili is also good for stormy nights even if it's warm out. Or that's what I'm going with anyway. I had poblano peppers on their last leg, so I made my Spicy White Chili with Tempeh.
It's really such an easy meal to throw together without much fuss. And it's super filling and comforting. Gotta love that kind of combination.

More happy news? What about enticing you with a giveaway soon? Hint: Food Should Taste Good.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Good workout
  • Comforting chili

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.