Skip to main content

Perfect Saturday - Time with Mom, Shopping & Eating

Leg Day & Glee at the Gym
This morning I woke up far too early on a Saturday. But, it meant I got my workout done and over with earlier rather than later. I really did not want to go to the gym. I mean, to the point of wanting to throw a 2-year-old kind of fit.

Ok, not rational of course. I'm a grown woman. So, I sucked it up and went to the gym. It was so hard though because it was an absolutely gorgeous day. The temps were rapidly warming and Jason was heading out for a run. Of course I was a bit (a lot) jealous. Not gonna lie.

But, I went to the gym like a good girl and got in a good leg workout. It was odd though, the gym is usually empty on the weekends. But they partner with a hotel across the street so that guests can use the gym. Apparently an acting troupe decided to use the gym - like half the troupe. It was almost like watching an episode of Glee (ok, I've never seen the show so I don't really know, but maybe Fame).

I had to chuckle, they were either reading lines on the treadmill, dancing around and lifting sporadically. I tried not to be annoyed, they were taking over "my" space. So I spent more time on the elliptical warming up than I had planned waiting for a bench and barbell. I also ended up having to totally rearrange my leg workout, but it all worked out.

I went with supersets of 3x8 unless noted.

Warmup set of barbell squats - 10 reps

SS#1
Barbell squats
Hamstring rollins on ball - 12 reps

SS#2
Step ups with dumbbells
Plie squats with low-end pulse (single dumbell)

SS#3
Narrow stance squats with dumbbells
Stiff-legged deadlifts

TS
Walking lunges
Calf raises - 15 reps
Firewalkers - 4 steps right, 4 steps left = 1 rep, did 6 reps per set

Lunch & Shopping
After my workout, I ended up making a last-minute decision to drive to my hometown to have lunch with my mom and do a little shopping (which you know I enjoy from yesterday's post). She had called me earlier in the morning and asked if I was coming for a visit. My sister and I had gotten her a gift card to TJ Maxx and she was wanting to use it. Unlike me, mom isn't much of a shopper unless one of us with her.

So, I headed down there and met her at a favorite cafe called Cafe 1217. They have incredible food. Just love going there. And it always changes. They had their black bean burgers today, so that's what I ordered. It comes topped with a corn relish and is just so tasty.

After lunch, we stopped by Home Goods, where my sister met up with us. I walked away with a bag of food items. I love finding fun new foods at stores like that. Then we walked over to TJ Maxx. I had hoped to find a purse, or more shoes, but struck out. Mom and sis both found some shoes though. I walked out with a new pillow. I have the hardest time finding pillows as a stomach sleeper. Fingers crossed this one works.

So, today wasn't totally planned, but it was really rather perfect. I couldn't run, but got in a good workout nonetheless. I enjoyed the sunshine on my drive to and from my hometown. Even better, I spent the day laughing and visiting with my mom. Hard to beat that.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Leg day
  • Sunshine
  • Warmer temps
  • Time with my mom
  • Relaxing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.