Skip to main content

Spin & Roasted Veggie Salad for Thankful Thursday

Spin Again
Today was another insanely warm day for February. The only thing that made running less tempting were the 33 mph gusting winds.
Spin class, indoors, sans gusting winds was the way to go. I almost went with a leg workout, but weights just didn't sound appealing to me. Of course, anyone who has done spin knows that's a leg workout in and of itself.

Since I don't have spin class options on the weekend, I decided to take advantage of the class today and do weights over the weekend.

Of course, since it is so unseasonably warm out and the air isn't on in the building AND my gym is on the 29th floors and all windows...it was like a freaking sauna in there. So to say "sweatfest" is a mild understatement. Let's just say there should be no toxins left in this body!

Thankful Thursday

I sort of debated on doing this. I don't want this to seem like a Debbie Downer post at all. I just think it's a good reminder to be thankful...all the time.

Yesterday I found out that someone I've known most of my life has brain cancer. She's 36 years old and has already battled breast cancer. Of course I want to say it doesn't seem fair. But what is fair? I have a friend who lost her husband (she's only 36), some women my age have even lost children.

Right now there are a few things I'm going through that I prefer to not disclose. I'm also still unable to run. But, I do have things to be thankful for regardless of all else.

  • I am still able to be active
  • I have a husband by my side
  • I have a close family - both parents have their health
  • I have some amazing friends
  • I have insurance coverage
  • I have a job that keeps a roof over my head, food on the table, clothes on my back
And of course there are the little things like sunshine, crazy furbabies, a good glass of wine, an email from someone at just the right time. 

What are you thankful for today? Do you make it a point to try to be thankful regardless of the bad?

Roasted Veggies
On a much lighter note, I decided to go for a roasted veggie salad. Salad seemed appropriate for the warm temperatures. Most definitely not a chili or soup night. Plus, I could let the veggies cook while I spent time stretching out and rolling. I definitely neglected my PT exercises while Jess was in town. Oops.

Back to the salad. I had some beets I was itching to use, so I went with beets, sweet potatoes, red bell peppers, and baby portobellas along with tempeh that I marinated in the same dressing.
For the dressing, I simply whisked together a grainy mustard, sugar-free apricot preserves, balsamic vinegar, and a splash of orange juice. Super simple, but full of flavor. I did cube up some almond cheese and served with homemade bread.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Sunshine
  • Warm weather
  • Spin class
  • Easy dinner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.