Skip to main content

Perdido Key Vacation - Day 5

I sound like a broken record I'm sure - but today started off pretty much the same way it's been starting while on vacation. Wake up, get in a workout of some sort, then hit the beach.

Jason decided to go for a run with me today. The plan was 5 miles. But it was already way too warm. I knew the minute we started running that it wasn't going to be easy. The humidity was really high, so breathing was tough. My legs felt incredibly heavy too.

The first mile wasn't great, but I finally started to at least get into a rhythm. And for whatever crazy reason, we started speeding up. Maybe it was just a subconscious desire to be done. Mile 1 was a 9:17 pace, Mile2 ended up at 9:04 and Mile 3 was a stupid 8:50. It definitely slowed after that point.

Jason and I were both struggling. The heat was zapping our energy. The sun beating down furiously. We ended up agreeing to walk for a minute to just cool down, but even then Mile 4 was still 9:13. Clearly we were on a mission to just finish. Five miles ended up being 4 1/2 miles. And you know what, I'll take it.

After the run, I took a cold shower to try to cool down. I literally could not stop sweating. Not a fun feeling really. Eventually, I cooled down. Grabbed a bite to eat. Packed up the cooler and off to the beach it was.

The wind and surf was up today. A big change over the past few days. But, the wind definitely keeps you cooler, especially under an umbrella. I finished my second book this week around 2. Then we heard some thunder coming from inland. I was getting hungry and decided to head on up to get cleaned up.

The plan was to go across the street to a place we visit each year called the Jellyfish Bar. They always have fun martinis, wakame salad, and sushi.
 
 

Usually we have a really nice time. Unfortunately, there was one really large and really obnoxious table. It was hard to have a conversation. Also, this year we had a coupon from restaurant.com that I had purchased. Turns out, they suddenly don't accept. I'm sorry, but that's bad business if you ask me.

They had an agreement with the company. Just because they no longer work with them doesn't mean they shouldn't honor a coupon that doesn't expire. Just me? So, really ticked about that. But we didn't make a scene and of course still tipped our waitress. It wasn't her fault of course. Have you ever had that happen?

Right now we're finishing listening to the last of the first Hunger Games. Dinner will be later since we had such a late "snack." I think we'll end up having spaghetti with a salad. But, that could easily change. Either way, I know dinner will be enjoyed on the balcony watching the waves crashing in. Perfection.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
Running (though tough)
Sunshine
Relaxing
Reading

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.