Skip to main content

Running in the Rain & Heath Update

Heath Man
First I suppose I need to update you on Heath. He's doing so much better. He actually got to come home Friday evening and was one happy boy to be back home. He does have a follow-up this week to recheck his toxicity levels (my technical version for lack of better explanation).

For now, they are treating it as if he got into something poisonous and it was affecting his liver function. They gave him lots of fluids and he's on meds and a new special food for his liver.

Hopefully everything will check out when we take him back and we can move forward. If his levels are still off, however, then it could be something more. We just don't know yet.

But, he's home and acting super peppy again.
Heath
Maddie avoiding the camera

Running
Saturday morning I woke up to a light rain. It wasn't storming and it wasn't just a downpour so I decided to go on out for a run. I knew I'd be soaking wet one way or the other, and rain is certainly more refreshing than just sweat.

It ended up being a fantastic 5-miler for me. I really had to just make myself stop running because I could have kept on going for another 2 miles easily. And considering I had run 10 the day before, I thought that might be pushing my luck just a bit (or a lot).

There was definitely a time when I would see someone running in the rain and think, "That's just plain crazy." Now I'm that crazy person. But there's just something so fun about running in the rain (as long as it's not cold of course). Kind of makes you feel like a kid. Just free with no worries.

It rained most of the morning, so Jason and I decided to run errands because clearly it wasn't pool-weather. We ate a late lunch and then the sun came out around 3 so we hopped in the pool and just lounged for a bit. It was a fairly lazy day overall.

Yesterday it was cloudy and the air thick, but no rain. Jason and I set out for a shorter run. At first I thought my legs weren't going to cooperate, but they loosened up quickly and we fell into a pretty good pace. We ended up with negative splits. Nothing earth-shattering, but it is still nice to be able to pick up the speed each mile (and even better when it feels comfortable. So 3.5 miles done putting me at 27.5 for the week.

After the run I did do Cathe's MMA Boxing DVD and some abs. I needed to test out my newly hung gym mirror. It's been propped on the floor for nearly two years. Saturday, Jason got it hung up for me.

I did lots of laundry, swept, dusted, basic chores. Then we decided to walk over to the little Farmers' Market they started doing down the street on Sundays. There is a store called The Green Corner Store that we stopped into first. We've never made the time to go in there, which is silly because we run by it all the time and live 3 blocks away.

It's a really cool little store, lots of handmade items, even makeup. Then we stopped by the Farmers' Market next. We didn't really need any veggies, but just wanted to check it out and see what vendors were there. It's growing slowly but surely.

We made plans to meet up with our friends at a fun place called Pizza Cafe. They have a really nice patio space (lots of big fans too), so we headed that direction a little early to stop into an antique store - just piddling basically. After lunch we went over to our friends' house to have drinks on their patio. We brought the pups along so they could get out of the house as well.

The rest of the evening was spent sitting on the couch watching a movie. Lazy Sunday evening.

Double Monday & BBQ
Today I decided to get in weights during lunch. I did not do shoulders last week in hopes that it would help my right shoulder feel better. Today I decided to add in the shoulder workout with my biceps and triceps.

I went with supersets for the same muscle group done as 3x8 (triceps done as 3x10) then an exercise done as a dropset starting at 6 reps with heaviest weight, 8 reps, 10 reps (decreasing weight each set)

SS#1
Biceps curls
Hammer curls

Dropsets for biceps - Preacher curls

SS#2
Weighted triceps dips
Double-arm kickbacks

Dropsets for triceps - Double-arm overhead triceps extensions

SS#3
Upright rows
Lateral raises

Dropsets for shoulders - Overhead press

Jason and I had talked about doing a speed workout after work, but it was calling for rain. So, rather than sit around and wait, I decided to scrap the run and do my Susan Chung RapidFire Results Kickboxing DVD instead. I've run 3 days in a row and plan to run tomorrow, so the break is really ideal.

I wanted dinner to be easy tonight, so I just went with BBQ tempeh sandwiches with baked sweet potato fries on the side. I just saute onion and bell pepper then add in crumbled tempeh and BBQ sauce. Easy peasy (and messy and impossible to photograph).

Daily To-Enjoy List:
Good workouts
Easy dinner
Relaxing evening
Happy pups

Comments

  1. Glad Heath is feeling better!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Glad Heath is recovering and feeling better. What a relief. I love running in the rain when it's warm! Feels so good! Happened to M and I on a lake run yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.