Skip to main content

Hello Humidity & Portobello Tempeh Salad

Anniversary Dinner
I just wanted to start by thanking everyone for your kind words, comments, and anniversary wishes for our 12-year wedding anniversary yesterday. We hadn't planned on doing anything super special. It's hard to plan that way on a Monday.

We had talked about lunch, but then ended up deciding on a last-minute nice dinner at a restaurant downtown called Lulav. We've gone there many times over the years for anniversary dinners. They have changed up their menu quite a bit, however, and there are some options that I miss, particularly one specific salad.

They do have a fantastic house salad with a lemoncello vinaigrette. Jason ordered their wild mushroom appetizer. He ended up getting a paella for dinner and I went with their only vegetarian option, rotini with squash and wild mushrooms. I did request a red sauce over the creamy butter wine sauce that it was supposed to have come with.

No dessert. We were stuffed. I suppose the wine we had counts as a treat though right?

Humidity's Back
This morning I woke up just after 5 with 7 miles planned. I was expecting slightly cooler temperatures, I guess I've gotten spoiled for 65 degrees recently. I was smacked in the face with 78 degrees and humidity that made you wish you had gills.

I got in about 2.5 miles before meeting up with my running buddy. Then we continued on together giving me 7.5 miles and by the time she made it back to her house, it was a solid 7 for her.

Today was definitely more of a struggle than recent runs have been. My legs started feeling incredibly heavy, the humidity was no joke, and I was dripping with sweat. It was really nice having "A" there to help keep me distracted from the unpleasantness of it all.

Today she was my literal running sherpa and I also knew I had several other virtual sherpas (Jess, Jo, Dorry, Lindsay, Sarena, Kristina) rooting me on as they were out on their morning runs as well.

Tempeh Tuesday
I almost went with Taco Tuesday tonight, but wanted something much lighter after last night's heavier dinner. We went to the store during lunch, and Jason had picked up some really nice looking portobello mushrooms. So I decided to use those for a salad - Portobello and Tempeh Salad with Creamy Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce*.

(* For this batch of sauce, I used veganaise and more almond milk in lieu of the silken tofu to make for a much looser sauce and I also added in the bits of cooked down onions and garlic from poaching the tempeh.)

I poached the tempeh in no-sodium vegetable broth, minced red onion, minced garlic, thyme, black pepper, and salt. I like tempeh, but sometimes it can be bland. So I decided to poach it before baking it to try to infuse more flavor and keep it moist.
 
After the tempeh had been poached (basically until most of the liquid cooked down), I roasted the tempeh with the portobellos. I had some jarred roasted red bell peppers and some rehydrated sundried tomatoes that I added to the top along with goat cheese and the Creamy Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce

Daily To-Enjoy List:
Morning run
Sherpas
Easy dinner
Relaxing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.