Skip to main content

Cool Weather Run & Eggplant, Zucchini, Tofu Bake

Cool Weather = Increased Speed
It was so tough dragging myself out of bed this morning for my run. I didn't sleep very well for starters. And it's just flat out dark at 5 am. I did end up resetting the alarm to give me an extra 10 minutes in bed, just laying there, but still.

Jason set out with me for the first 2 miles, then I met my running buddy for the remaining 5.5 miles. It felt fairly chilly out - 60 degrees. Of course, I was sweating like usual by mile 2. The weather felt great though. Not too windy, but just enough of a breeze to keep you cooled off. 

My legs were much peppier than I expected too. In fact, my slowest mile was the first one at 9:10. That one is usually the "wake-up" mile for us. It does make a difference when you don't feel like you're breathing under water - in jacuzzi temp water nonetheless. 

"A" and I kept up a really good pace. I fought my initial urge to slow down and just went with it. I knew she'd slow if I needed her too. And honestly, I really didn't. But there was certainly that initial urge and fear that I was going to end up having a crappy run again.

But, I was able to participate in the conversation today unlike the last longish run where I semi-bonked on her. In other words, I wasn't struggling just to keep running let alone talk.

My fastest mile was 8:30. We did have a slow one at mile 6 because of a ramp that zigzags up to a bridge so you really can't go fast, but it's better than taking the stairs to the top. My overall average for 7.53 miles ended up being an 8:47. I'll take that for sure; it left me grinning to be honest. Now if I can shave a few seconds off and maintain for 13.1, I'll have a half PR in October. 

KISS Dinner
My legs were pretty heavy feeling after the morning run. A sign I was definitely working harder. But not a bad thing of course. I decided to indulge myself with an Epsom salt bath before rolling and stretching and before tackling dinner. This really should be more common and not an indulgence.

Dinner almost ended up being a lot more complicated than I had really intended. I started off just trying to figure out how to use the last of our Japanese eggplants from the garden. I also had some zucchini to use up. 

I thought that some sort of casserole would be an easy option since it was cool enough to use the oven. My thoughts were going towards something with a quick, homemade red sauce and veggies. But then Jason asked if I was going to be crisping up the eggplant with panko. Well, I hadn't planned on that....And it's awfully tasty.

And I almost went that direction. Then I stopped myself. I needed to make something simpler rather than more complicated- KISS (keep it simple stupid).

Eggplant, Zucchini, Tofu Bake 
Ingredients:
2-3 Japanese eggplant, cubed
2-3 (depending on size) zucchini, cubed
1 package extra firm tofu (cut in half thin into thin slices, pressed)
To taste: salt, parsley, basil, oregano
Spaghetti sauce of your choice
Daiya Vegan Mozzarella (or cheese of your choice)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a non-stick skillet, dry sear your tofu gently pressing to release the moisture. Remove and allow to cool then cut into cubes.

Combine veggies, tofu and seasonings in a large bowl and toss. Add the spaghetti sauce all and put into into a casserole dish. Cover with a lid and allow to bake for approximately 25-30 minutes. Remove lid, sprinkle the top with your cheese and bake until cheese is melted.

*If you want it extra cheesy, you can add in some of the Daiya to the mixture, saving more for topping the dish.
 Now, if I had remembered to start the sauce sooner, this would have gone much smoother. I was busy trying to relax though ;-)

Daily To-Enjoy List
Morning run
Cooler temps
Remembering KISS


Comments

  1. Awesome run! Sounds like you may have had a little Runner 's High going on. ;)

    Going to try the tofu bake. Sounds yummy and simple!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.