Skip to main content

Run, Lift, Eat - Another Roasted Kale Salad

Morning Run & Midday Lift
This morning I opted to do an easier run with Jason rather than push myself with 800's with my running buddy. My foot feels a little less achy, but I didn't want to chance it any more than I already was with a run period.

The plan was 3 miles. This meant we could "sleep in" until 5:15-ish. Hey, I'll take what I can get ;-) Of course, this was the one morning this week when I was sound asleep and the alarm very rudely interrupted that deep sleep.

It was another hot, muggy morning. But at least it wasn't a long run...that's what I reminded myself of anyway. It was a pretty good run for the most part. We kept it basic. As flat as possible. The overall average for 4 (yes I did 1 extra mile) ended up being a 9:08 pace.

Considering how the heat/humidity has been affecting my breathing and perceived exertion level, I'll take it. We actually had negative splits. The first mile was a super slow one (the wake-up mile) at 9:37, then it increased steadily to 9:08, 8:59 and finished strong with 8:44.

We have a cool front moving through sometime tomorrow. Tonight's "low" is around 76 but Friday night looks like it might be 67 (depending on which station's forecast you believe). I'm thinking 70 degrees sounds much more pleasant for a long run than starting at 76 at 5 am.

Long story short, I ran today with plans of resting tomorrow and getting in a more pleasant long run on Saturday. That's the plan anyway.

During lunch I went ahead and got in a quick weight workout for shoulders and back. For the past week, I've been supersetting one muscle group then doing a dropset for that same muscle group before moving to the next. Example: 3x8 for lateral raise and front raise. Then dropset starting with 6 reps then 8, 10 for shoulder press.

I will say that it feels more effective for shoulders, tricps, and chest. But I am not feeling it as much (as in not really sore) for biceps and back. I know being sore isn't a surefire indicator of effort of course. Anyway, it makes for a pretty quick workout and fatigued muscles. That's a good thing.

Kale Cravings
The idea of dinner tonight was pretty easy for me. I've been craving roasted kale and had plenty in the fridge that needed to be used. That means tonight was a Roasted Kale, Tofu and Veggie Salad with Creamy Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce.

Again, too hot to be thinking about using the oven, but sometimes cravings trump sensibility. Plus, this is one of those easy dishes that you just roast everything and then toss it together for the most part. The tofu can take a little longer, but you can easily substitute pre-cooked or beans.

The sauce is as easy as tossing ingredients into a food processor and blending away. No cooking involved. Maybe a little messy because I always make a mess with liquids and a processor. Lots of drips and drops. It's be smart of me to put a paper towel underneath huh?
 

Anyway, just another dinner repeat. I promise to get creative again one of these days.

Nail Art?
And speaking of creative, or just too much time on ones hands (literally in this case), can someone explain what's up with the inundation of fingernail art on Pinterest?

Some of it is kind of neat. Some is extremely garish. Some very childish. Sorry but no adult needs Hello Kitty on her nails. But the point is, who on earth has time to do that? And if you're paying someone, then I need that job to be able to afford it. 

So, nail art? Yay or Nay?

Daily To-Enjoy List:
Morning run
Weight workout
Kale for dinner
Painting nails (but plain and simple)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.