Skip to main content

Easy Veggie Soup & Thankful Thursday

Soup is Good
Yesterday I was definitely nice resting up my tired legs. I woke up when Jason did for his early morning swim, very, so very briefly, entertained the idea of an easy run. Then I promptly fell back asleep until the alarm rudely interrupted me. Guess I needed the sleep huh?

It ended up a rainy, gloomy evening, so I threw together an Easy Veggie & Bean Soup for dinner. I used to be a soup hater, but I have since changed my ways. I realized that soups can be very hearty and flavorful when they don't come out of a can.

Easy Veggie & Bean Soup
Ingredients:
1/2 white onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced (only had 1/2 or would have used a whole one)
3-4 carrots (depending on size), diced
3 tbsp minced garlic
1 32 oz carton no-salt vegetable broth
1 can no-salt diced tomatoes (with liquid)
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
To taste: salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, parsley, basil, oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes
1 bunch broccoli, chopped
2 small zucchini, diced
2 small yellow squash, diced

Directions:
In a large soup pot, saute onions, peppers, carrots, and garlic until onions begin to soften.

Add in broth, tomatoes, beans, and seasonings.

Allow to simmer until the carrots begin to soften then add in the broccoli, squash, zucchini and allow to continue to cook until all veggies are tender. Re-season if needed.
I served with more of Sarena's chickpea oat flatbread. This time I added in sundried tomatoes, parsley, oregano, and basil.

Thankful Thursday
Sunday evening I posted the following on Facebook:

When people ask why someone runs, there are always so many reasons. For me, it makes me feel alive, free. And when you have injuries, the frustration....there are no words to relate to others unless they've been there. So, I will run until I simply cannot. And I will run for those who can't and I will run in honor of others Harmony Love Davis.

It came from many places in my mind and heart. Running was something I never ever thought I could do. I have pretty severe asthma. So growing up, running was never an option. Period. I danced. It was anaerobic. I could do ballet. I couldn't run. I could barely hike up a piddly mountain trail. 

I found Singulair and I ended up having to resort to running on the treadmill as I got older and ballet classes with 16 year olds became almost painful. I found running outside and eventually figured out that illusive key to running. That strange factor you simply cannot explain to anyone. Either you find it, or you don't. But when you find it, you fall in love with running.

Running isn't something I do to maintain weight or as my cardio. I mean, it is my cardio. But it's more like something I have to do. It's something I've become. And that probably makes no sense to anyone unless you run. It really is part of me, the me I am now. I am a runner <---and wow does that still sound weird to declare.

Even if you're not a runner, there is likely something in your life that is a part of you - like ballet always was for be before. And when you have injuries that prevent you from doing that passion, it's almost impossible to describe to others how it feels. It's so easy for people to tell me, "Just don't run. Do something else." Sounds simple right? But it's not so simple. It's crushing actually. It's like telling you to stop breathing to an extent. Drama queen? Perhaps. But no if you understand.

And yes, this is a rambling post, but it really does have some validation. The reason for the Facebook post was that Harmony and I connected because of the same heel problems. But her struggles are so much worse than my feet or my piriformis. Her husband has a very rare form of cancer (I posted about it previously). And running, her salvation time, well, it sucks ass when she hurts and can't have that. Her husband is sick and he can't run. But, I can.

I guess for me, even when I have really shitty runs, when I'm in a lot of pain, I try to keep a certain perspective. And when I hear about friends like Harmony...it makes me that much more determined to run. For me, for her, for her husband. (Please visit her blog and keep her and her family in your thoughts)

If you're still with me, I wanted to share what I'm thankful for today, especially in light of what Harmony and her family are going with (Ryan had surgery again on Tuesday).

I am thankful...
That I can run
That my husband, family, friends are healthy
That I have my health
That I have met some incredibly inspiring people from blogging
For my husband
For my friends
For my family

What are you thankful for today? How do you try to maintain perspective each day?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.