Skip to main content

Forget the Chores

Saturday
Lindsay at Cotter Crunch had an amazing post yesterday on "Thou Shalt's". It was one of those great reminder posts to stop and enjoy. Enjoy the moments at hand. And she also included this "quote" that really struck me. I think it's so easy to almost brag about how busy we are. How much we have planned, how many chores, errands, workouts, recipes....you get the point.



I have actually found myself feeling rather bad that I wasn't more busy or more productive on a weekend. But you know what? If I enjoyed it, really enjoyed it, then who cares that the laundry didn't get finished or the yard didn't get mowed?

So in reflection of this past weekend, I must say, there's no guilt for what didn't get done. Instead of vacuuming, Jason and I got in 11 miles on Saturday. We set out way too late (again) and it was warming up fast. But it was a beautiful, sunny day I'll say that much.

We zigzagged our way through the neighborhood venturing farther than we usually do. Not necessarily some of the better parts of the area, but never felt unsafe. Plus, it was nice to run down different streets for a change.

I ended up hitting my mental wall around mile 9. I was just getting hot, fatigued, cranky basically. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it past 10 miles, but I just dug deep and we got it done.

After we stretched, ate a bit, and cleaned up, we decided to enjoy a nice patio lunch at one of our favorite pizza places. It was just too nice to sit inside. So we just enjoyed the day, the time together, the nice weather.

Sunday
Sunday I got up and went out for a run. It was increasingly overcast, almost like it might rain. It never did, it was just humid. I got in 4.7 miles (this is big for me because I didn't push it to just round out to 5).

My sister came up with her kids. The plan was for me to take my niece to lunch then shopping for her birthday. Sarah ended up coming with us though, just the girls. Jason took our nephew out on their own excursion.

I let "A" pick the restaurant and she chose a place called The Purple Cow. Jason and I have only eaten there once eons ago. It's sort of like a burger and shakes place. Luckily they did have a veggie burger. A was so excited about shopping, however, that she kept saying she was full. Kids....

She wanted to go to Toys R Us so that's where we ended up. She kept telling me that it might take a while since she almost never got to come to Little Rock to shop there. She was so excited, pingponging back and forth and up and down one particular aisle. Just completely unable to settle on one specific toy of choice, or doll I should say. It was so cute to watch her excitement.

After the doll was finally chosen, we headed back home. My sister was getting her hair done and A and I were going to head over to a park. Unfortunately, there were too many kids on the playground for her liking (she's very shy) so she wanted to just walk around the park - it has ponds, ducks, geese, and nicely manicured flower beds. She seemed happy enough to do that.

My sister and nephew were staying the night as he had surgery this morning. But A had to go to school so her daddy met my sister halfway. C was super excited to be staying the night - after his big adventures with Jason. They both seemed fairly worn out from their excursion. C wanted spaghetti for dinner, so I made spaghetti (and a huge mess).

Then it was an early bedtime for all of us. So, again, the rugs didn't get vacuumed, the kitchen floor not mopped, dishes left undone. But no guilt. Enjoying the time with the kids, my sister, my husband, the gorgeous weather....that's what was most important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.