Skip to main content

San Diego - Part 2


Saturday morning was originally supposed to have included a run at Mission Beach. Instead, we chose to take the morning slower then got in a 4 mile run on the same path near the hotel we ran Wednesday. Honestly, 4 was all I had the heart for. Definitely felt very fatigued.

We ended up going to the San Diego Zoo before going to Mission Beach. It worked out perfectly really. Kristin from Stuftmama and I had been planning to meet up somehow, some way on Saturday. And it ended up that the Zoo worked out great. It was fun for her cute cute cute twin boys and it we had plenty of time to visit. 

Jason and I got there about an hour before we were supposed to meet up with Kristin, so we took the opportunity to take a walk around Balboa Park, or part of it anyway. It's such a beautiful area with so much to see. 
 
 
We met up with Kristin and her boys and headed into the Zoo. They needed to take a potty break, so we decided to just meet up at the Panda exhibit since the boys both wanted to see that one and it was recommended to us as a must see as well. 

Of course, on the way, we encountered tons of other exhibits. There's just so much to see it's almost impossible to take it all in.
 
 
 
Kristin is an absolute doll I must say. I am so thankful that we had the time to spend together, that she made the time to trek over to the zoo. I mean, it's kind of humbling to have someone do that for you, you know? And, she's as sweet and peppy as I expected. If we lived closer to each other, I have no doubt we'd hang out often. And when I grow up, I want her arms by the way ;-) 
The boys were troopers and lasted close to 2 hours before it was almost meltdown time. So, Kristin headed out before that happened and Jason and I continued to walk around a little while longer.
After trekking around the zoo (only making it through maybe half at most), Jason and I then boarded the bus, then another train, then another bus to hit Mission Beach. By the time we got there we were both getting a little cranky (hello hungry horrors kicking in). 
 
Of course, we walked down to the water and enjoyed toes in the sand before find a spot that had at least one veggie friendly item - Coaster Saloon. Oh and beer, cold beer always takes the edge off when in doubt. It wasn't the best food on the planet, but it wasn't bad. We started with the chips and salsa, which was more like a pico de gallo (so very fresh). 

Jason tried some fish tacos and we split a vegetarian pizza that was loaded with broccoli, portobellos, tomatoes. Really good. Then we took a stroll down the beach walk to watch the sun dip into the Pacific Ocean before making the long trek (including a very crowded bus ride) back to our hotel. 
 
 
Sunday morning we were up and out early. The flight was supposed to leave at 9:30 but was delayed until 10:40. Then when we landed in Dallas, the next flight ended up being delayed 2 hours. By that time I was ready to be home, close to a total meltdown, nearly in tears. Terminal A is not the place for a vegetarian by the way. Thank goodness for TGI Fridays. I've never been to their restaurants, but they did have a fantastic hummus platter AND black bean veggie burger. Oh, and much much needed cold Blue Moon ;-)
 
The trip was a good one. But definitely fast and furious. I definitely have mixed feelings about San Diego too. I just knew I'd fall in love and want to move there. In some respects, I do, in others not really. Maybe because of being there for work not so much vacation and not having the time to really and truly soak it all up. 

Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous, the weather is amazing, and um there's the beach of course. It was definitely a smaller city than I expected and I really expected some flipping fantastic cuisine. But maybe we just didn't get the 411 on where to go for that. Don't get me wrong please, we enjoyed it. Would love to go back. Would recommend it to anyone else too. 

The social media conference was fantastic, but also draining at the same time as those things can be. I really feel like I learned so much. There were some amazing speakers. And, I met some amazing people, had the chance to enjoy an amazing city (with my husband), but in the end, I was so ready to be home. Traveling is great, but home is even better (though, Jason and I do want the mattress and pillows from Doubletree, some sort of dream something or other).

Comments

  1. Lovely recap! I used to live in San Diego, it is beautiful and lovely weather. I totally agree with you though I'm from Sydney, which is very multicultural and big. So Sam Diego I always called a big small town and definitely less choice then Sydney for different cuisines. That said it is wonderful, the Mexican food is amazing and it is very liveablr

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.