Skip to main content

Answering Some Questions About Blood Clot

I didn't really feel up to writing a Fun Facts Friday post. Right now I'm not feeling too "fun." I have had so many of you email me asking more about what's going on, what a blood clot means, and how I'm being treated.

So, I thought I'd answer a few questions, maybe share some of my feelings about this as well.

How Did it Happen?
Last Friday I had gone for a run, come back and stretched like normal. I stood up to roll up my yoga mat and felt a strange, almost pinch near my clavicle. I pushed around trying to pinpoint the cause of the pain, but never could find "the spot."

Saturday I kept feeling strange pain but didn't really think much of it. Sunday morning, however, I woke up with a swelling right at my clavicle. It hurt like crazy and just continued to get worse throughout the day.

The whole area near my clavicle was swollen, red, hot. There is a lymph node right in that area called the supraclavicular lymph node. Since I had been suffering from allergies, I thought perhaps it was that lymph node even though that's not a lymph node that would normally swell or become infected due to sinuses.

It was definitely worse on Monday, so I called and got in to see a doctor, a new one thankfully. He too thought it was the supraclavicular lymph node. Infections are hot, red, swollen. So it made sense, sort of. My sinus problems weren't caused by an infection thankfully, just allergies. He was going to give me a steroid shot that would have cleared that all up, but the lymph node situation was far worse so he wanted to treat aggressively.

Tuesday it was worse, so I went back. He gave me another very painful antibiotic shot. He told me to come back Wednesday then again Thursday. Honestly, I skipped Wednesday's appointment because I couldn't stand another shot. Thursday, however, it was not any better, so I readily went in.

My appointment was 8:15. I thought I'd be at work by 9:30 at the latest, where I'd eat breakfast. After checking it, he sent me directly to the hospital to have an ultrasound. He suggested it could be a blood clot. So off I went, tummy starting to grumble of course. After about 2 hours spent at the hospital, it was indeed confirmed - blood clot in the left jugular.

As for how or why I got it, not sure. Right now they just want to treat it then worry about everything else later. 

Treatment
I was told the doctor wanted to treat me as outpatient and to head back to his office. The guys who did the ultrasound said, "You're really lucky." Meaning I was lucky I wasn't being admitted right then.

The reason I wasn't admitted is because my doctor wanted me to try a new therapy to dissolve the clot. Normally, patients are admitted to the hospital for a lengthy stay so the administering of medication (essential rat poison) can be very closely watch. That's followed by at-home injections.

This new therapy is using a medication called Xarelto. It's an anticoagulant typically used to prevent new clots. Luckily there are very minimal side effects. The biggest side effects are dizziness and bleeding.

How Do I Feel?
Honestly, not as crappy as you'd think. I am fatigued. I've been sleeping 10-11 hours easily. I've been a little short of breath as well. But other than that, I don't feel terrible. That kind of makes it worse, because I'm already antsy to move.

What Can I Do?
I've been told absolutely no exercise, no walking, nada, zero, zip, zilch. Sit. Sit. Sit. For someone who works out 6 days a week, runs 30-35 miles a week, lifts, does kickboxing, etc., this is like being in prison.

Dangers
The dangers of this are of course quite serious. It's not uncommon. My doctor tried to allay my fears saying that he does see clots weekly. However, the problem is really about making sure that it doesn't get dislodged and move. Hence no moving.

If it did get dislodged it could go to my lung or, worse, my heart. So yes, this is pretty serious. But, I've already had people say they've had clots or know someone and they've made it through without any problems. In fact, my doctor's nurse had one in her lung. She told me this trying to reassure me. And it was reassuring. But it's still scary.

So...
That's really it. I've got a clot. I'm not supposed to do much of anything. And I've cried a lot (which is not good for allergy ridden sinuses).

I am really trying to stay positive. It's not easy, but I'm trying. I appreciate the well-wishes, emails, direct messages, etc. They really mean so much. So thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.