Skip to main content

Tasty Tuesday - Spinach and Cannellini Bean Pasta Bake

After yesterday's way-to-deep-for-a-Monday post, I thought I'd make today's post much lighter and simpler, kind of light this recipe. I'm rather liking Tasty Tuesdays actually. Kind of keeps me inspired to be creative in the kitchen again.

We haven't been to the grocery store in a little over a week now. That means fresh veggies are pretty low and the pantry is starting to get a little more bare than usual too. Jason has this thing for casseroles and baked dishes. I decided to just work with that as a starting point for dinner.

I had rotini, frozen spinach, some tomato sauce and silken tofu. I thought I'd make a fast, creamy pasta sauce with the tofu. Love using silken tofu to make a "cream" style sauce. It works so well plus it's an added boost of protein.

Now, if you can't do soy, you can always use a cashew cream, coconut or almond milk instead. It'll just make for a slightly looser sauce, but shouldn't affect flavors much. Feel free to omit the beans or sub them with a bean you prefer best. I think lentils might be nice with this dish too.

Spinach & Cannellini Bean Pasta Bake
Ingredients:
1/2 package silken tofu
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
7-8 sundried tomatoes, re-hydrated and chopped
2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
To taste: salt, pepper, red chili flakes, basil, parsley
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 packages frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
6 oz whole-wheat rotini (or pasta of choice), cooked per package directions
Daiya Vegan Cheese (or cheese of choice)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a food processor, puree the tofu, tomato sauce, sundried tomatoes, nutritional yeast flakes, seasonings. If you feel like your sauce is too thick, add in a splash of almond milk or white wine.

In a large bowl, toss together pasta, sauce, spinach, and beans. Then transfer to a prepared baking dish. Top cheese and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes.


The great thing about this dish, besides the flavor, is that it's really quick to throw together. And if you didn't want to take the time to bake it, you could just heat up the sauce in the microwave or in a saucepan. Even easier right?

I think the next time I try this one, I'll add in a little more liquid to the sauce. But I loved how the sundried tomatoes gave the dish a hint of a feta taste. You could easily omit any "cheese" because of that tang. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.