Skip to main content

Tasty Tuesday - Zucchini, Tomato Tofu Bake

Sunday was rainy and cold for most of the day (cold all day, rainy half the day). I decided to take advantage of being holed up in the house and prepped my lunch for Monday and Tuesday. I also made some homemade ciabatta bread to have with soups for dinner.

I love zucchini, and I love using them in lieu of pasta sheets. I thought I'd try something new, so I came up with a Zucchini, Tomato Tofu Bake. I just used half a block of tofu, so this made two portions. I probably should have just used the whole block for four lunches, but wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. Saving the other half for later.

Zucchini, Tomato, Tofu Bake
Ingredients:
1 large zucchini, cut in half then thin slices lengthwise
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
Approximately 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, thin sliced
2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
3-4 artichoke hearts, small dice (not in oil)
To taste: parsley, salt
1/2 block tofu (thin sliced for 4 slices), pressed then pan seared

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, artichoke hearts, nutritional yeast flakes, garlic, parsley, and salt.

In a prepared baking dish (used a small one), add one layer of the zucchini. Top with half of the tomato, artichoke, garlic mixture. Top with tofu. Repeat with zucchini then remaining tomato mixture.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.

 
 
I just cut this down the middle and put into two containers to reheat for lunch. A little bit of prep time of course, but worth it in the end for a tasty, healthy lunch.

I will definitely be making this again, and not just for lunch. Not only did it taste great (even without marinating the tofu), it's a power-packed dish full of vitamins and nutrients as well as lean protein.

  • Artichokes are a great source for potassium, magnesium, vitamin C and even protein. 
  • We all know tomatoes are filled with lycopene (an antioxidant), they are also packed with vitamins C and A as well as potassium and iron. 
  • Tofu is a rich source of calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and vitamin B as well as protein. 
  • Zucchini actually contains almost all of the B vitamins as well as C, K, and E. 
  • And if all of those nutritious ingredients aren't enough, even smelly garlic has vitamins and nutrients. 

There are definitely so many options for this dish. You could always add in Daiya (or other cheese of choice), red sauce, red bell peppers, even capers would be wonderful.

What is your favorite healthy, go-to lunch recipe?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.