Skip to main content

Life Happens. 7 Tips for Fitting in Your Workouts

Happy Tuesday! One day closer to the weekend right ;-)

This morning I managed to knock out a really good 10-mile run. I am loving getting the long runs done during the week. Jason started off with me for about 3.5 miles then I met up with Amy. The weather was fairly pleasant, definitely getting used to this unseasonably cool weather we're having.

I also got in 6 solo miles yesterday morning. And while I wasn't just jumping out of bed ready to go, I know that it's a great way to start the day and to ensure that I get my workout done.

People often question how I fit in all of my workouts. It's not always easy. I don't have any more extra time than anyone else. Granted, I don't have children, but it's not like I sit around idle. I work full time and am also now working a second job as a fitness trainer. I still have to maintain the house (or attempt to do so), usually I make dinner, and at some point catch up with my husband.

So, how do I fit it in? Sometimes I don't. Sometimes life does get in the way. For example, I had planned on biceps, triceps, abs before meeting with a client AFTER working all day. I had forgotten about a late meeting, so that meant no weight workout. But, I always have a plan B, C and even D for when I can't get in a workout when I thought I could.

Knowing I have a backup keeps me from stressing out about it too much. It keeps me sane too. Sometimes flexibility is key. Like knowing it's ok to switch up your rest days or going with a totally different workout for sanity's sake. I mean really, there are some days when you just don't have the energy to get in the planned weights but an easy run works out mentally.

I thought I might share a few tips and/or tricks for getting in your workouts. Honestly, what it really starts to come down to is that it becomes part of your routine, just like going to work is part of your routine or going to class, or whatever. It's just part of the day.


How to fit in your workouts:

1. Schedule It - Make it part of your calendar for the day just as you would a doctor's appointment, a haircut or picking up the kids.

2. Split it Up - I don't think 2-a-days are ideal to do each and every day. I think you'll burn out. But, sometimes they are necessary, especially if you're planning on doing both cardio and weights. Get in a short cardio session in the morning then schedule a short weight workout at lunch or after work. 30 minutes each session. Remember, you don't have to do both!

3. Have a Plan - Know what workouts you are planning for the week. Have your weights already written out. This keeps you on track, but also makes you more efficient with your workouts - especially with weights.

4. Have a Backup Plan - Know that if you can't get in that run on Monday as planned, you have another day you can get it done. Same for weights or any workout you're doing. Have a backup. It might rain so you can't ride outside, have a plan. Your gym may end up being closed or too crowded. Have a plan.

5. Enlist a Buddy - Scheduling a workout with your spouse or friend is a great way to ensure you get it done. Plus, having a friend can be motivating and more fun.

6. Get it Done Early - I know, I know, waking up is not easy. But, getting your workout done first thing in the morning makes it less likely that something will come up and cause you to miss the workout.

7. Know Your Focus - If you know you have a crazy, hectic week, know what your fitness focus is. Know your limits and don't try to cram it all in. Are you training for a race? Are you more focussed on your weights? Maybe you're gearing up for a big bike ride. This can also go along with #3.

How do you manage to fit in your workouts? Do you make contention plans for workouts in case they are missed or maybe if you're traveling? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.